rounded pulley

Old 05-31-06, 03:31 PM
wwc
Unhappy rounded pulley

I'm having a problem with the pulley that the rope attaches to to start the motor, it's a 12 hp briggs riding mower.
I replaced the old pulley under the cover and found that the center portion that slides down on the square end up out of the engine had rounded out.I bought a new one, got it all back together but something aint right.
Right before the old one went south it made a big squeel and after inspection i found it rounded out the center hole, when i got this one back together it worked fine for about five minutes and then it sounded like a cat was stuck in there.
took it all apart again and the center is rounding out again.
Any idea what causes this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-06, 06:29 PM
That thing sticking up is the starter clutch. Has little balls inside, kinda like a ratchet but only works one way. Make sure its not sticking. Do not oil it though, just collects more dirt and causes more problems. They can be rebuilt or replaced. When they catch, when working right, they shouldn't catch the way the engine is running, when you pull on the cord, it should.

Old 05-31-06, 07:16 PM
wwc
Unhappy

I think that is my problem the clutch is sticking a few seconds after the motor is started and then trys to force the plastic pulley to turn which it can't because of being tied to the pull rope handle.
It then starts eating the inside out of the pulley and making it rounded and then it will not engage the clutch.

How do i remove the clutch end from the engine and what do i do to repair the situation.
Are the ball bearings inside locking up maybe?

Old 05-31-06, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by wwc
I think that is my problem the clutch is sticking a few seconds after the motor is started and then trys to force the plastic pulley to turn which it can't because of being tied to the pull rope handle.
It then starts eating the inside out of the pulley and making it rounded and then it will not engage the clutch.

How do i remove the clutch end from the engine and what do i do to repair the situation.
Are the ball bearings inside locking up maybe?
You can get a starter clutch removal tool to remove it from the engine, though I've used a hammer and a flat head screwdriver a couple times. put the flat head on the tabs where the screen guard is screwed onto, and tap it. You can use a little string down the cylinder to lock the engine while you do this. And use a flat head or chisel to take the cover off the clutch to check the little balls inside. And for rust. I can't remember exactly, but a new one should be around 10-15 bucks if you don't feel like messing with it.

Old 05-31-06, 08:40 PM
wwc
So do you think the tiny balls inside the clutch head is the problem?

I'll see if i can rent a puller before i try the hammer trick.
thanks.

Old 06-01-06, 06:28 PM
That square peice. When you take it apart, make sure thats rust free up the bore of it, that might make it bind, and also the little ball's inside for flat spots, which might cause it to bind. Don't oil the balls inside there, but the end of the crank, when you clean it all up. Just a small drop of oil.

Old 06-01-06, 06:58 PM
wwc
I got it apart and cleaned everything and the balls seem fine, with it together it turns easy and the balls roll into the slots easy and smooth.
Could it be something else?

Old 06-02-06, 05:04 AM
Still sounds like the clutch, clean the end of the crank and the square peice... up in the bore there good.

Old 06-02-06, 07:56 PM
wwc
Smile fixed

I took off the clutch assemble again and after closer inspection i found that inside where the ball bearings roll ,in each "pocket" there were worn spots where the balls could be locking up and not rolling well.
I filed smooth all the rough places and emory clothed everything and polished it all smooth including the crank shaft end and inside the ratchet, lightly oiled everything and it now runs great.
I let it run for several minutes and it seems to be fine now.
Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-06, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by wwc
I took off the clutch assemble again and after closer inspection i found that inside where the ball bearings roll ,in each "pocket" there were worn spots where the balls could be locking up and not rolling well.
I filed smooth all the rough places and emory clothed everything and polished it all smooth including the crank shaft end and inside the ratchet, lightly oiled everything and it now runs great.
I let it run for several minutes and it seems to be fine now.
Thanks for the help.
Glad to help!