moped acting up!

Old 06-02-06, 07:34 AM
jonnyd
Visiting Guest
moped acting up!

I just had a moped given to me from a friend of mine. I got it all cleaned up and started it. the engine runs but wont stay runnng for more than 10 seconds. what should I do.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 08:12 AM
clean the carb make sure you get all the little holes cleaned out take the float off and soak it in carb cleaner for a few hrs. put it back together and it should run purfect. i'd change the sparkplug if i were you. if that doesnt work then its your fuel settings have someone who knows what they're doing tune it

Old 06-02-06, 10:36 AM
Take the carb off, get a rebuild kit first for the carb, with all the gaskets.

Get some carb cleaner dip, tear it apart and soak the carb in carb cleaner for a few hours, take it back out and be sure to blow it out through ANY and ALL holes you can see, good with compressed air. The fuel settings are easy, if it has a high (more then likely labled H) and a low end fuel mixture needles, its the usual 1 to 1.5 turns out from all the way in snug. Fine tuning? just let the engine warm up and turn the screw either way till it runs good, and revs good (little to no hesitation)

This a 2 cycle? If so, make sure to mix fresh oil/gas mix, and use a fuel stabilizer..... if they set for too long without stabilizer... the gas will gum up and cause carb problems. (even with stabilizer, the stabilizer just OFFsets the spoiling process, over a year with stabilized gas it should be dumped in a relatively full tank of gas in a car)

Old 06-02-06, 11:02 AM
theres really no need for the stabilizer unless your only going to ride the moped once every other two months if your going to continue riding it then dont worry about the stabilizeer yea its nice because you dont have to worry about the gas gunking up but then again its just a waste of money. if you know you going to stop using it for a wile empty out the gas can and run the motor dry (meaning out of fuel) run it till it dies then try starting it untill it doesnt fire at all.

Old 06-02-06, 01:37 PM
jonnyd
Visiting Guest
yea i cleaned the carb really good, I didnt soak it but I can try that. Ill see if I cant get some pics on here

Old 06-02-06, 05:19 PM
jonnyd
Visiting Guest
also this engine has a really weird throttle system ive never seen one like it before, the engine has no governor or anything

Old 06-02-06, 05:21 PM
jonnyd
Visiting Guest
heres a pic of the moped i have its not the one i have but its the same moped. http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/192/2301/

Old 06-02-06, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by lawnmowerkid16
theres really no need for the stabilizer unless your only going to ride the moped once every other two months if your going to continue riding it then dont worry about the stabilizeer yea its nice because you dont have to worry about the gas gunking up but then again its just a waste of money. if you know you going to stop using it for a wile empty out the gas can and run the motor dry (meaning out of fuel) run it till it dies then try starting it untill it doesnt fire at all.
After about a month, gas starts to go bad..... sure you can get by, with just running the engine out of gas.... but what about that little bit thats always left in the carb? What will happen to that? Stabilizer is NOT a waste of money. Its actually pretty cheap insurance. Also running the carb out of gas, leaves the carb unprotected... so the seals may dry out faster then normal. Heck a big bottle of stabil for $10 bucks at wally world will last years with just a small moped.

Old 06-12-06, 02:36 PM
jonnyd
Visiting Guest
umm I cleaned te carb with the gum out stuff and its still doing to same thing it will idle for a while but when you go to give it gas it goes vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmm and then it dies

Old 06-20-06, 10:11 PM
A thought.

Here's a possibility for ya. I just had the exact same thing happen to me on my lawn mower. The Primer button has a rubber hose on it, the hose had decomposed over it's 20 year life. The carb would draw fuel while it was not running, but as soon as I tried to start the engine it would suck air in through the hole in the primer hose. I replaced the hose, the mower runs fine. Worth checking!