installing hour meter Honda Rancher ATV

Old 07-09-06, 01:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing hour meter Honda Rancher ATV

Well, I bought a nice new Honda Rancher 4 X 4and it's lot's of fun. I had absolutely no gages or meters on the machine and I miss some kind of usage meter.

I located a never used new and still in the box original Honda Hour meter on EBAY. I bought the OEM hour meter (Honda original equipment) for 40.00 and it came with instructions. you simply are supposed o drill a 60 mm hole in the fender and locate the pink and green wires in he harness, unplug and run it through the hour meter. The instructions clearly state the meter is for a 350 fourtrax. This is what I have only my model is a 2006 model and I see the instructions were printed in 1985.

Does anybody have a clue if this hour meter will work. I hope somebody will take a shot a helping me install the thing as well.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you so I can hook her up and start recording hours.

bs5

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 10:19 AM
J
Hi, Since the hour meter is not going to be used for a company maintenance schedule or for a selling issue as to show low hours you can just hook it up to be on when the key is on even though the engine may not always be running. Most of the time when the key is on the engine will be running anyway. This way you don't have to get into the harness.
If you want it only to be on when the engine is running your dealer should be able to show you the right wires.
Best regards, Jeff Z.

Old 07-12-06, 03:07 AM
B
Thanks Jeff, I was not aware the meter could be hooked up that way. I might just have to see if the dealer will hook it up. He might not like it because the meter came from ebay.....so be it. I just have no idea which wire to tap but it appears as though it taps in and then of course continues the circuit. It would have been a simple installation if Honda kept the same colored wires in the current line of machines.

bs5

Old 07-12-06, 04:05 AM
J
Hi, Don't tell them were you bought it. Just say I bought this meter from Honda. We all wish stuff would stay the same from year to year.
I just had to buy a new mirowave oven. I bought the same model I had so the bracket on the wall would not have to be removed and the holes I drilled in the bottom of the cabinet would be the same. I thought I would just take my oven down and put the new one up on the old bracket and use the same bolt holes that hold up the front of the unit and the same power cord hole.
The new microwave uses a different bracket, the hole for the power cord had to be moved and the bolt holes were in different places. Other than that it looks the same as the old one. I don't know why they do the things they do.

Best regards, Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Z; 07-12-06 at 04:17 AM.