5hp carb Q

Old 07-17-06, 08:24 PM
5hp carb Q

I have a small minibike with a Honda 5hp the motor has a carb on it that you just set the speed and it maintains that speed. It has a twist grip throttle and cable that is stiffer than heck.
Is there a way to make that carb work better or can i get a better carb for this engine?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-06, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by pipe539
I have a small minibike with a Honda 5hp the motor has a carb on it that you just set the speed and it maintains that speed. It has a twist grip throttle and cable that is stiffer than heck.
Is there a way to make that carb work better or can i get a better carb for this engine?
Thanks
If this is a GX series honda then there will be a nut that secures the throttle arm down. Loosen this nut up some so the arm move freely. Then all you need to do is hook up a throttle return spring. I have built quite a few minibikes with these honda engines and have had very good luck. See attached picture of my latest creation.

5.0hp honda with a TAV2 Torq-a-verter on a 70's vintage Indian Frame. I have since converted it over to disc brakes.

Old 07-18-06, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Auto parts stores carry cable and chain lube in a spray can. You can try working some in your throttle cable to get it to move more freely.

Old 07-20-06, 01:17 PM
Thanks Guys I'll do both. Its on a 1/2 Honda and 1/2 Ru pp mini bike Frankenstein thing

Old 07-22-06, 06:24 AM
Hi, Those Honda engines come set up for manual speed control with the lever that connects to the governor and carburetor. As already posted loosen the nut of the top of the lever. The factory sets them tight so if you are using the manual speed control lever it will stay were you set it. When using a throttle cable you need to loosen it. If your throttle cable is solid steel replace it with a braided cable. They work much better when you need a throttle that retuns easy.
Best regards, Jeff Z.