2 cycle engine trouble

Old 07-18-06, 04:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 cycle engine trouble

I got this moped form a family friend and it was running fine one night, then the next night I coudln't get it to start. I tried cleaning the air filter on the carburator and changing the gas in the tank. It only starts when I'm going down a hill at about 5 miles an hour. after it starts it has plenty of power unless I try going up a hill then it bogs down and dies. It made it up the same hill the night before, and it has made it up that hill numerous times before that. Can someone help!

Old 07-19-06, 07:24 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BURLYONE
I got this moped form a family friend and it was running fine one night, then the next night I coudln't get it to start. I tried cleaning the air filter on the carburator and changing the gas in the tank. It only starts when I'm going down a hill at about 5 miles an hour. after it starts it has plenty of power unless I try going up a hill then it bogs down and dies. It made it up the same hill the night before, and it has made it up that hill numerous times before that. Can someone help!
BURLYONE,
Is the engine similar to a weed whacker engine?
A lot of the smaller, 2-stroke engines use suction instead of gravity to get the fuel from the gas tank to the carb. The hose (inside the gas tank) where the fuel gets sucked out has a weight on it to keep it at the bottom of the tank.

If the hose is old, it can crack or even break causing the weight to fall off. If that happens, the remaining piece of tube cannot suck fuel off of the bottom of the tank. So maybe that's why it'll run going down hill but not uphill. When you're going up hill, the gas goes to the back of the tank and possibly the shorter, broken fuel pick-up tube can't reach it.
Good luck,
Phil

Search this Thread

Ask a Question