Lawn Mower wiring

Old 12-31-06, 09:43 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Lawn Mower wiring

I have snapper riding mower that had a 9hp motor with no elect start, I now have an 11hp motor with elect start. My question is how to wire this up. The wire from the switch goes to the starter solenoid I believe, the other post on the solenoid goes to the battery and the starter. Is this correct or not. Also does a briggs and stratton 11hp motor have an altenator or what to charge the battery.

Last edited by Ronald#1; 01-01-07 at 03:31 AM.
Old 01-01-07, 02:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 785 Votes on 722 Posts
In a simple system you usually have the ground of the battery connected to the engine case/starter. You have a big wire from your battery to one post of the solenoid and another big wire from the other post of the solenoid to the terminal on the starter. There is also a wire from the positive of the battery to the switch and then from the switch to the smaller post on the solenoid. The solenoid is usually connected to ground by being boleted to the engine, but sometimes you may see a ground wire.

You did not give enough information to tell if you have an alternator or not. There are many models of B&S 11hp engines. You probably do not have a dedicated alternator like a car (unless you see an alternator on the side of the engine) but may have a charging system off the flywheel.

Old 01-01-07, 08:20 PM
T
If the Briggs engine has a electric starter mounted on motor it has a charging system.

Old 01-01-07, 08:59 PM
R
Lawn Mower wiring

The motor does not have a starter on it, I will be using one that I have. The motor has been rebuilt and the fly wheel is still off, I had to put my carb on it and the points from my old motor on it. Since it does not have an altanator, where can I get on and how is it installed. Thanks.

Old 01-02-07, 09:01 AM
T
Got to Briggs website:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=63683

Click on: Manuals and Parts list

Click on: Engine IPL

Type in your Engine Numbers to get Parts List and Diagrams

Old 02-11-07, 08:10 PM
L
you could do it the redneck way and say screw the wiring and take a battery and battery wires, touch the positive wire to the nut sticking out of the side of the starter and the negative to any bare metal part on the starter on motor (works better if on the starter) use a normal battery charger if needed and dont worry about wiring but do leave the key wiring connected to the motor so you can use that to shut the motor down. trust me its not that difficult of a process its accually quite easy

Old 09-16-13, 08:09 PM
R
i need help on a snapper riding mower model # 281123BV it was a pull start and someone removed the pull start off and i need to make the key switch like a toggle switch this key switch was for the recoil start which has been removed it has 2 poles 1 went to the magento n the other to engine ground now need to add a push start switch need to know how to wire this key switch & a push start switch to the solenoid and to the push button switch and to the battery also it has a red wire coming under the flywheel to keep the battery charged where does this wire connect to

can I explain what wires I have on this snapper mower to turn it into a push button switch

1. push start switch is a 20 amp with 2 wires

2. red positive battery cable & 1 of the wires from the push start switch & the red wire coming from under the flywheel to the solenoid is all on the left side of the large positive side of solenoid prong total of 3 wires here

3. right side of the - post of the battery of the solenoid is a black wire and it is going to the starter

the other push button switch wire is on the bottom small prong of the solenoid

but this isnít working I get nothing BUT the red wire coming from under the flywheel it is arcing when I put it on the positive side of the solenoid with the key switch off and the positive on the battery post gets very very hot what I'm I doing wrong please help can i get someone to post step by step on how to wire this mower

thanks
Ricky

Search this Thread

Ask a Question