Two things

Old 01-11-07, 01:11 PM
Two things

I have a 1971 450CL honda I'm thinking of taking the engine off to build a sand/dirt buggy. My first ? is what wires do you have to have to make this thing run? I don't want the buggy to have wires everywhere, I probably won't have lights. My 2nd ? when you cut the mufflers off of a old honda they never want to idle again. Can you rejet the carbs and fix that?
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 04:46 PM
You would need alternator to rectifier to switch which would distribute to battery. That same wire to battery would supply to switch for the wires going to the coils. Then ground wires for the system, usually from the battery to ground.

That would get about all of them I can think of. I can't tell you post to post wiring schematics though, sorry.

The idling thing isn't a fuel mixture issue. It has to do with the flow through the engine head/ exhaust system, more specifically back pressure. If you were really sharp and so inclined you could correct it with a cam modification. The easiest way is to reestablish back pressure to the head.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 01-12-07, 07:51 AM
Thanks Bob, I'll try the wiring thing. I'm afraid I'm not sharp enough to do the cam thing. I could install it but I wouldn't know what kind to use.

Jim