Pw50 problems..

Old 01-19-07, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pw50 problems..

I have fairly new Yamaha Pw50 we bought for me son who's outgrown it now, but anyhow it's never really run right. It was extremely hard to start..
I replaced the piston & had the cyclinder bored out a with a kit. It now starts fairly easily but has no power when in the dirt, it just kind of makes some noise and doesn't go anywhere. My question is there a clutch mechanism or issue with the drive system to cause this to be a turd on anything other than concrete or very flat grass? I want to give it to a friend's son but I want to make sure it'll run right before giving it away. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-07, 08:26 PM
did you install the piston backwards? It sounds like the exact symptoms, engine revs up, but has no power. I would check.

Old 01-21-07, 04:48 PM
...pw

Yeah I didn't pull it back apart to check, but I'm pretty sure it's in right I had my friend babysit me when putting it back together and he builds engines for WERA endurance race teams but he moved away now. He doulbe checked everything before buttoning it up...So I'm kinda S.O.L. now.

Old 01-24-07, 05:41 PM
Pw50

You may want to pull the exhaust pipe and run it,that will tell you if the pipe is puked with oil and carbon build up............common problem in a small diameter exhaust pipe.......

Old 01-27-07, 10:13 PM
rejet the carb after boring? I believe the cluthces on the PW50 are centrifugal but if it was pulling before the engine work it shouldn't have gone bad immediately.
got a fresh plug?

Old 02-02-07, 09:05 PM
You said, "...it's never really run right." I thought these machines had 2 methods of de-tuning when they were new:
1) restrictor washer in the exhaust
2) throttle limiter (screw that limits the amount the throttle can open)

Check to make sure both of these are not limiting your performance!