Repair electric starter motor-whining sound

Old 03-18-07, 03:01 PM
Repair electric starter motor-whining sound

Read Craftsman snowblower won't start and answer. Well I have a whining sound,when I try starter and engine starts with rope pull.
If after I tap brushes and the connections are OK and still not working, what do I do next, take it to Sears for repair?
It is is Craftsman 536.885210 and I never worked on anythilng like this before.
What do you think a repair like this might cost?
Do think that a repair like this can be done by a inexperienced person?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-07, 06:29 PM
If the whining sound you're getting is coming from the starter motor running (which it sounds like the case) the problem is likely the bendix on the starter isn't kicking out to engage the flywheel. They can become corroded on the starter shaft.

That can be cleaned and lubed. Remove the starter, it should mount with a couple of bolts. When you have it off, ground the case to the snowblower, with the electrical connection hooked to the starter and push on the starter button. If the starter motor is running but the gear drive on the end isn't moving outward, you have a stuck or broken bendix.

Work with the gear drive on the end of the starter, cleaning and lubing it. When you run the motor the gear should jump out to the end of the shaft and return when you stop engaging the starter. When it does that mount it back on the snow blower. It should work.

Good luck,

Hope this helps,

Bob