Briggs Doesn't come up to full speed !!

Old 04-14-07, 10:13 AM
Briggs Doesn't come up to full speed !!

I have a 5 HP B&S Motor Model # 130232 Type 0135. Have it on a go cart with a chain and centrifigul clutch. ( took off chain still no power) I cleaned the carb,new spark plug, pick up fuel tubes OK,diaphram OK. Fresh gas too. Went on Briggs website and found 2 springs that are missing ,one on governor rod coming up from the governor arm,and the one on the throttle lever at the carb,but the linkage is there.If I manuallly hold the throttle lever wide open,it does speed up some. What exactly do these springs do? I mean the rods from the linkage move ok. However can the governor arm be out of position? I never had the engine apart,except disconnected the carb ass'y and cleaning it. I only had to disconnect the one rod that controls the opening of the butterfly. But was put back the same way. Just seems I don't get full power,was wondering if I put the springs on that are missing,if that would help alot and adjusting the governor arm. The motor does start up on 2 or 3 pulls,and idles like a purring kitten,just doesn't seem to get up to full RPM's. And this is all happening with NO LOAD on the motor.
Thank you in advance !!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-07, 08:08 PM
Exclamation Any luck with the springs???

Just wandering if you had fixed your problem. I just bought a used 5hp "funpower" B&S cart for my 10year old son. Whomever had it before us broke two of the springs, so I bought them, but I am not able to find a diagram of where the two gov springs go for sure.
I had to register to contact you so I hope you let me know something!!!
good luck!!!

Old 05-10-07, 10:25 PM
Briggs 5 HP NO POWER

That was not my problem..............I had a blown head gasket and compression rings were shot. I dumped the old motor and got a used one on Ebay that was 2 years old for 40 bucks plus 24 bucks shipping. The springs I got ,I put on,but didn't solve the problem. Seems like to me that the springs just take up the slack from the linkage(where the steel rods go into their repective location) holes....So I figured if I'm gonna put that money into a head gasket,and rings(plus the cylinder wall was scratched pretty good........might as well pitch it,and get another motor. Which I did...Good luck on your springs.