GoKart Throttle Sticking.

Old 07-14-07, 05:16 PM
GoKart Throttle Sticking.

Hey!
I have a gokart, I had it since I was 6 years old, now im 15, it's been sitting in the garage for 3 years, without moving. I took it out a few weeks ago, and I fixed a few things. The only thing that is bothering me, is the thottle, it sticks open. I assume this comes from it sitting for years. Anyways, the thottle opens, then gets stuck, then with plyers, I have to fix it. But, it happens again. I'm more then positive it is not the cable, anyone know anything I can do to possibly fix this problem? Could it be the return spring because it seems to be too thick and strong.

Suggestions, help anyone!!!????

Thanks.
Luca.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-07, 07:05 PM
If the cable is sticking it will more than likely have to be replaced. A heavy spring wouldn't cause it to stick open, it would try to hold the throttle shut. Did you try moving the throttle by hand (at the carb, not thru the cable)? Sometimes the shaft that the throttle plate rides on will corrode in the carb body and bind.

Old 07-14-07, 07:15 PM
Well, I took the carborator off the two rods that hold it in place, I cleaned it, then I tried to clean the little metal piece the pin of the cable goes into. It seems to be moving more freely, I also put some oil on it. It moves a lot more freely by hand then it did before. Do you think it will work once I reconnect eveything?

Old 07-14-07, 09:48 PM
It may work, but if it's sticking even a little there's more cleaning to do. I say clean it well, spray it up with some penetrating oil and try it.
Just make sure you're testing it without the engine running... you don't want to be on it if the throttle sticks.