1986 Honda Fourtrax hard to start

Old 08-07-07, 06:32 PM
Question 1986 Honda Fourtrax hard to start

Hi,
I just recently bought a 1986 Fourtrax 350 for cheap as a project. One thing I am finding is it is sometimes hard to start. This is what happens: put it in neutral, put choke on a little, flick the switch to on and press the start button. The starter turns over, I hear the solenoid clicking and after I stop pressing the electric start, the fuel pump still clicks like mad. Before I started replacing things I am wondering if anyone can help. I do have the honda service manual so I will looking through that as well. Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-07, 08:02 AM
It sounds like your battery is at fault as a starting point. I would replace, jump or make sure it's charged fully. If it is an older battery, it probably needs to be replaced. Those are only good for a couple of years.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 08-08-07, 10:53 AM
Anything helps. Although I did hook up the battery charger to it and tried it then. Still nothing. I am almost wondering if it floods too easy because I do smell a lot of gas.

Old 08-08-07, 03:23 PM
Using as a starting point that you have a fully charged battery and it is turning the engine over sufficiently fast, I would look at the spark available.

Pull the plug and ground it, then spin the engine over and check for a bright blue spark at the plug tip. If you have a good spark and good fuel, check the choke to make sure it is only partially on. Also check the air breather and exhaust system for obstructions.

The ignition on that is probably a CDI type which grounds through the ignition switch for an engine kill. If you find you have no spark, that kill wire is the first place I would look for problems. The other components would be added to the list such as the coil, coil wire, etc.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 08-12-07, 04:09 PM
Thanks for all the information, I will be definately having a close look at all those things! Keep you posted.

Old 08-14-07, 05:05 PM
Smile

My 84 TRX200 'FourTrax' didn't have a fuel pump, it was gravity fed from the fuel tank to the carburetor float bowl. The clicking you heard: might that have been the starter circuit sticking on? If you smell too much gas, maybe the float is stuck. That happened to my wifes mid 70s Yamaha DT125..... IIRC, not many machines of that era had fuel filters.

The ignition on my '84 was CDI, as marbobj posted. Unfortunately, my CDI box was intermittent, it would shutdown when warm.... and the box was placed just above the engine, so heat was always an issue. Over $150 to replace it with dealer parts, according to the local Honda dealer.

Old 08-14-07, 05:11 PM
help is here..........

My friend I have extensive background in Honda Fourtrax problem. I am building a mini dragster using a Honda Fourtrax tx300 engine. Learning can be very expensive at times so we seek help from others like i had too many times.
Reading as many manuals on the engine I had and seek out its problems.

A engine need 3 things to run..GAS,SPARK,AIR
SOUND STUPID BUT START WITH ONE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT.

Start tracing the problem from the battery and work forward:
Is battery charged

unplug spark wire and plug a good spark plug into that wire and touch body of plug to ground ( body). Dont touch plug now..turn over engine and see if you have spark.

take off airfliter and smell in airintake and smeel for gas fumes.

write back now and let me know what happens....Joel

Old 08-22-07, 07:26 AM
I finally got the ATV working. For now. Although to be honest, I don't trust it enough to go 4 wheeling very far.

To be completely honest, I am not exactly sure how it started working. First, the tank was about 1/4 full so I filled it. Second, since the bike kept stalling, I adjusted the idling speed higher (I thought it was fine before, but my 8 year old daughter like to tinker without me knowing!). I re-checked all the electrical connections again. Since I was getting the smell of fuel everytime I tried to start it, I checked the lines and the choke. I re-charged the battery because I thought that it might have killed it a little bit trying to start it over and over. After all that, it started and is working fine now for about 3 or 4 days. I had it out everyday for only about 30 minutes but it starts fine every time now. Sorry that I don't have some mind blowing, clever, and genius solution for you guys! I just went back to the basics AGAIN and it worked this time. Thanks for all your help. This is the first time I have ever worked on a bike as I usually deal with autos.