honda fourtrax 300 dies

Old 08-18-07, 12:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow honda fourtrax 300 dies

i got my dad's 1988 honda fourtrax 300. it was garage kept and in really good condition, however it has just been sitting for years. i put a new spark pug in, new gas, and battery. it wouldn't start so i put a lil bit of fuel starter in and it starts right away but it dies quickly if i don't hold the gas down. i don't know much about engines. i am learning as i read and go along. i would appreciate any help. thanks

Old 08-18-07, 02:10 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line from the carburetor and check for good fuel flow from the tank. If the tank is higher than the carburetor, it's probably gravity fed (no fuel pump). If by chance it has a fuel pump, turn on the key and direct the flow of fuel into a container.

If the flow is OK, you have some blockage inside the carb, namely the main jet and probably the idle circuit. If you're decent at DIY mechanicing you can take off the carb, dismantle it and soak it in a carb cleaner, blow it out with compressed air and it will probably take care of things for you.

If you're not in a position to do that, remove the fuel line from the carburetor and shutoff/block/whatever the flow of fuel from the tank. Then attach a length of similar fuel line (can be anything made of neoprene) about a foot in length. Fill the line with carb cleaner from an aerosol can (this works faster than the stuff you put in a gas tank). Put on your choke, turn off the key (or pull plug wire), and spin the engine over about five or six times.

Let that sit for about a half hour, then hook everything back up, and with the choke off try to start it. You may have to spin it a few times to clear out the choked fuel. If that doesn't clear the jets, you'll have to remove and dismantle to clean it out.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 08-21-07, 09:20 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if i took the carb off, what is the best way to clean it? thanks

Old 08-21-07, 08:37 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
If you have committed to dismantling it to clean it (which is the best way), you won't have a lot of parts to deal with, but work on a clean flat surface so you can lay them out in the order you took them apart.

Remove gaskets and O rings and soak in the solution per instructions on the bath. The NAPA solution is pretty well regarded and available from that parts store. There are others though.

After soaking, rinse with water (usually recommended) and blow dry with light compressed air. Don't use high air pressure or you may be looking for parts.

Then stick it back together.

That's about it,

Good luck,

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question