HP CC Capability?

Old 09-15-07, 04:30 PM
Question HP CC Capability?

Ok I have a 4HP 187CC engine from a tiller and i was going to re mount it in a bicycle and was wondering if it would be able to carry the bike plus my wieght (215) with no gear ratio changes or anything to technical.

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-07, 08:55 AM
In theory yes it would pull you and the bike, depending on terrain, etc.

There are some details that would have to be worked out though and I'm afraid gearing is one of those.

However, for the sake of simplicity, if you used a variable speed drive on the motor, which would take care of a lot of the gearing issues, the engine would pull you at some level or another. The question is whether it would be as fast as you would like to go.

Without a drive of that type and using a fixed gear ratio your speed range would be restricted to the rpm range of the motor. And its performance would be compromised by it not being able to run consistently at an rpm which would produce a high level of torque and horsepower.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 09-25-07, 07:49 PM
it all depends how you make it work, it has plenty of power to move you and you bike no problem, it mostly depends on how everything is geared and where its geared to.

I had a friend when I used to live in new york, he stuck a small 2stroke engine in the middle of the frame and pulled the pedals off and had a tiny clutch powering the sprocket where the pedals used to be. That thing was fun, and very fast. He left the rear alone and used the gears as well, so you could controll the speed and really get moving.