LT 185 weak spark

Old 09-23-07, 11:35 AM
LT 185 weak spark

I just picked up an 84 LT185 from a friend. It has sat for a while and the guy said it had a carb problem. Me and my son went through the carb. It was trashed so we soaked and cleaned it real good. We also took the fuel tank off and cleaned it. It will not start though. I took the kill switch off and checked it with a meter and it is fine. I put a new plug in and still can not see the spark. I grabbed the plug and had him pull it over. It has enough to feel but it is not very strong. Anyone know how to check the pick up coil? I am thinking that may be it. I tried a little starting fluid and got nothing. Also, How do you use the compression relief???

thanks for any help..
jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 06:30 PM
lt185

this has the tank in the rear right. it works by vacuum instead on gravity. You might not have enough compression to suck the gas from the rear. may also be a fuel pump.
as for pick up test.

neg lead to ground pos to blue wire should have 130-200ohms.
neg lead to ground pos lead to black/red 350-450 ohms
neg lead to ground pos lead to yellow/red 0.2-0.8 ohms

Old 10-19-07, 06:51 PM
Something else you can check. We bought a LT160 with the same problem. We removed the ignition cover and sanded off the heavy rust build up on the stator, charging coil and pickup etc... and it worked great.

Old 10-24-07, 11:20 AM
remoov any rust from the flywheel.
and check the points