1981 yamaha virago...

Old 10-11-07, 02:35 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1981 yamaha virago...

I have recently done some top-end work on my bike and as of yesterday a klancking sound began to sound from my rear piston head (#1 cylinder). I have checked my valve clearances (.004" intake, .006" exhaust) and readjusted the timing chain spring-loaded adjusters as well as the cams themselves. Still after all this the noise is still there. As I drove away from the bike shop where I did this maintenance the noise has since increased in loudness and a slight hesitation in the motorcycles performance as well. Please anyone tell me what is really going on with my bike of 27 years old and still in love with it.

Angelus

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-07, 11:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
I have recently done some top-end work on my bike and as of yesterday a klancking sound began to sound from my rear piston head (#1 cylinder). I have checked my valve clearances (.004" intake, .006" exhaust) and readjusted the timing chain spring-loaded adjusters as well as the cams themselves. Still after all this the noise is still there. As I drove away from the bike shop where I did this maintenance the noise has since increased in loudness and a slight hesitation in the motorcycles performance as well. Please anyone tell me what is really going on with my bike of 27 years old and still in love with it.

Angelus
Couple questions:
Is the sound variable with engine speed, or the same no matter what your RPMs are?

Are you sure the noise if coming from the head? An exhaust leak will cause a "tapping" that will speed up/slow down with engine speed.

How far down did you take the head when you were working on it? If you had the valves out, did you inspect them? A sticking valve *might* make a noise like that.

You might try the screwdrive stethoscope trick and see if you can narrow the noise down to a particular area in the head. That'll give you an idea. The only other suggestion I can think of right now is pull the head back off, and start looking for shiney spots. If it's tapping very loud, something is hitting something- It will probably have left a mark of some sort.

Hope that helps!
Merlyn Graves
Lakewood, Co