Polaris 90 2 cycle

Old 10-15-07, 12:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Polaris 90 2 cycle

I have a newer Polaris 90 2 stroke that is finicky as heck to get it running. It has a jumper switch on it it limit the speed allowed for my younger rider. But when it gets going and he gives it gas it hesitiates bad and sometimes will just stall out. It is very hard to keep it running once it gets started , it acts as if it is flooding out when he gets on the gas. I've tried running it full open and closed choke to no success. He doesn't want to ride it anymore because he can never keep it running. Takes forever just to get it started from cold anyway. Usually it will completely drain the battery and it has to be kick started about 30 times before it will finally turn over. The thing is practically brand new.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-07, 08:22 AM
I'll start by saying I'm not a mechanic and I've only worked on one atv and it was a four stroke so I might be missing something but.....
Sounds to me like it is a carburetor problem. I don't know what kind of set up you have but I would be looking to remove the carburetor, give it a good cleaning and possibly install a rebuild kit.

Old 10-30-07, 12:52 AM
M
Originally Posted by smittyturk View Post
I have a newer Polaris 90 2 stroke that is finicky as heck to get it running. It has a jumper switch on it it limit the speed allowed for my younger rider. But when it gets going and he gives it gas it hesitiates bad and sometimes will just stall out. It is very hard to keep it running once it gets started , it acts as if it is flooding out when he gets on the gas. I've tried running it full open and closed choke to no success. He doesn't want to ride it anymore because he can never keep it running. Takes forever just to get it started from cold anyway. Usually it will completely drain the battery and it has to be kick started about 30 times before it will finally turn over. The thing is practically brand new.
First and foremost, sounds like you have a fouled plug. If you haven't, swap that critter out. Running with the choke on will make that a lot worse.

Second- any idea how this "low power switch" setup works? I am thinking that if it just cuts every other spark on the plug or something, then you are going to have problems. Do you have the same problem in "full power" mode? If so, you might think about leaving the switch on "full power" and figuring out a way to simply limit throttle movement- a pin/slot on the throttle grip, or a pin on the throttle assembly on the carb. Something like that.

Another thing to think about- is the bike oil injected? If so, you might want to make sure the oil pump/injector is working properly. Another thing to check would be the reed valves, if any- if they are gummed up, she won't want to start or run.

That's a start, anyway.

Merlyn Graves
Lakewood, CO