Atv starter/battery problem (warrior 350)

Old 11-02-07, 01:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Atv starter/battery problem (warrior 350)

Hi, i have a 2001 yamaha warrior 350 which i have owned for about a year and a half now. I have had non-stop little annoying problems with it, all fixed easily. This time i was riding in my backyard and i stalled it (forgot i was in some gear probably around 3 or 4) and i went to start it back up and the starter didnt turn. It makes an electric clicking noise coming from the rear near the battery. I left it alone for about an hour and it still did the same thing. The battery is pretty new and started great when i previously started it. Can anyone help me with this? because i am stumped. I no little to nothing about the electric system either lol.

Another question I have tried popping the clutch on a hill to start, but the tires just skid when i let the clutch out. Does anyone have any tips on how to pop the clutch to start it up?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
thanks

Old 11-02-07, 01:50 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
The clicking noise is typically the solenoid for the starter. When it doesn't have enough battery to fully engage the solenoid will close and open rapidly = clicking. The battery may be bad or your charging system may be faulty = low battery. I would fully charge the battery and see if it will start then. A battery that works well cold can act up as it warms up.

To roll start your ATV is a little difficult because the gearing is so low with the small tires. However, to give yourself the best chance of it, use your higher gears. That will give the roll of the ATV leverage on the engine and turn it over.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 11-02-07, 03:41 PM
In addition to charging the battery and checking the charging system as marbobj suggested, take off the battery cables and clean them out with a battery terminal cleaner. Do the same with the posts on the battery.

Even a brand new battery will not be able to deliver enough current through bad connections. The temperature change while the motor was running could have been enough to make the difference.

ATVs don't tend to get used every day. Your battery and charging system may actually be perfectly fine, it's just that you only had enough juice for one start. See below:

If it were me I'd charge the battery with an external charger after every use. And certainly every month if you're not riding it. A short ride in the backyard will not be enough to fully recharge your battery and repeated uses like this will leave your battery slightly undercharged each time. This will eventually cause premature battery failure.

-core

Old 11-06-07, 12:57 PM
M
Yes, i figured out the problem is in the battery. I jumped the atv with my car and it started right up. I rode the quad a good hour and the battery is still dead, I will be buying a new battery. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-07, 06:12 PM
Not so fast. If you want to buy a new battery anyway, go ahead, but it may not be the battery at all.

I'm assuming you didn't clean the battery connections out, and the rest of this post is based on that assumption.

The fact that jumping your quad with the car worked does NOT necessarily mean that the battery was the problem. You clamped the jumper cables onto your quad and these no doubt made a decent connection, causing it to start up fine.

After your hour long ride you attempted it to start it again, but this time with no decent connection to your battery. Even if the battery was brand new it may not have started up.

It may be the battery, it may be the charging system, it may be the connections. The symptoms are going to look exactly the same if you don't do some very basic troubleshooting.

Now with all that said, even if it's only the connections that are the problem, you putting a different battery might solve it, simply because you monkeyed with the terminals and got a better connection after replacement.

-core

Search this Thread

Ask a Question