1998 MXZ 583 not running right

Old 11-15-07, 06:34 PM
1998 MXZ 583 not running right

Hello

I have a 1998 skidoo mxz 583
I was ridding it on the trails and all of a sudden it spuddered out and died. I put it in storage. Never tried restarting it since 2003. Now i have it out and just cleaned out the carbs, dumped out all the old gas and put fresh stuff in. New plugs and i can get it to run. But it wont idle on its own. I know gas is getting to carbs cause i can see it in the bigger hose going from pump to the carbs. After i get it started from priming i can give it throtel and it will rev up fine. but it is like the primed gas gets burned out and it will start sputtering again. then i'll give it a couple more shots from the primer and it will get right back going. It will not sit and idle though.

Thanks for reading and any help will not go un noticed.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-07, 08:33 PM
The idle relies upon its own fuel circuit. There's a good chance it's plugged. When you prime it you override the idle circuit and get the engine to the mid and high range circuits. If the engine is running ok at the higher rpms, those circuits are clear.

The usual recommended fix to remove, dismantle and clean the carburetor. Using a soak for a hour solution is considered sufficient. Then flush the solvent off and blow the parts dry with compressed air.

You may be able to clear the the idle passages by disconnecting the fuel line from the pump and fill it with carb cleaner. The start the engine, letting it pull the cleaner into the carburetor. Let it sit for about twenty minutes, reattach the fuel line and restart the engine. If it doesn't idle then, try adjusting the idle mixture screw to get some flow going through it. If it's still a problem, you'll need to dismantle it to get a good cleaning job done on it.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 11-25-07, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry so long to get back to this. just got married and was pulling carbs apart on the night before wedding. Didn't get too far. I was wondering what is the best way to remove the float pivot pin.

thanks

Old 11-25-07, 03:58 PM
Just tap on it lightly with a small nail or something similar. They aren't in too tight. When you can get on it with pliers it'll pull right out.

And congratulations

Old 11-25-07, 04:02 PM
thanks. I'll let you know how it runs after a good cleaning

and thanks

Old 11-27-07, 04:50 AM
the cleaning was all it needed. now after setting the idle and getting it warm it will sit and idle beautifully. thanks again.

So happy that it was just a good cleaning needed.

lucas