Looking for some ideas.

Old 12-24-07, 04:48 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for some ideas.

I have a 2005 Yamaha 500XL. Last season, I went on a trip and everything was fine until on my return the engine suddenly failed on one cylinder. I changed the plugs and it ran fine for a couple of mins and it shut off. When I tried to start the engine, it was making a strange noise.

When I got the machine home I removed the plugs and checked the compression. Lots in the right cylinder but not much in the left. I removed the heads and the cylinder on the left had the rings cooked but the one on the right appeared to be fine. I replaced the piston on the damaged cylinder and honed out the head and replaced the rings on the right one.

I checked the fan belt and it appears to be fine. I was going to bleed the oil injection in case there are any air bubbles in the lines but I thought I would ask if anyone out there has an idea to what could have caused the problem. Any suggestions to what I can check?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-07, 09:58 AM
M
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
Did your plug from that side look any different from the side that didn't shell out on you?

If the plugs look the same, I would look at any differences in the cooling shrouds maybe being plugged on one side.

If the plugs looked a little scorched, I would think in terms of the oil injection. It would be common to both cylinders, but you may have been on the way to both cylinders going out and the one just led the way.

If it was running well before it stopped, it would point more towards the oil injection.

Hope this helps,

Bob