polaris sportsman 800 atv

Old 12-30-07, 07:55 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
polaris sportsman 800 atv

2005 polaris blows oil filter seal on cold start. Tried just about everything. Any ideas...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-07, 08:28 AM
M
Received 14 Votes on 13 Posts
It would have to be a pressure release on the pump. It must be sticking closed.

I would run a motor flush through the engine and make sure you're using the oil viscosity recommended and the correct filter.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 12-30-07, 08:46 AM
C
Bought pure polaris filter (many filters) and oil. Was able to draw oil through the pressure relief when the bolt was removed.

Old 12-30-07, 10:06 AM
M
If your mating surfaces for the filter gasket are true and undamaged, the only way for the filter gasket to be subjected to enough pressure to blow is the pressure relief valve or the return port. What did you do pull out the screw that holds the relief spring down? It wouldn't be conclusive the pressure relief is working properly with oil coming through that port with the relief mechanism removed. You would still have a binding/sticking consideration and the return port to the oil reserve being clear. I would flush it out as a starter.

Obviously the problem would be compounded with the cold start = thicker oil.

Have you had the ATV since new? Is there a chance the oil filter was over tightened at some time? Also check the nipple the oil filter screws onto. Make sure it's seated.

Last edited by marbobj; 12-30-07 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-30-07, 10:34 AM
C
how would you suggest i flush it out....

Old 12-30-07, 05:30 PM
M
You can pick up a motor flush at a parts store. You drain a part of your oil put in the motor flush, run it for usually 5 minutes, drain everything, then refill with oil and replace the filter.

Did you check the filter nipple and the mating surface for the filter gasket? If there is damage to either or the nipple is out of position it can affect your filter seating properly and a normal oil pressure could blow out the filter seal.

What is the history of your Polaris? Has it always had this problem?

Old 12-30-07, 06:47 PM
C
Thanks... the bike was bought used from a dealership and the engine was rebuilt. I did an oil change and seem to have problems since then. I spent most of the day on the bike and could not get the dowel out of the pressure relief valve. It may be stuck in there or upside down. Next step will be somehow trying to remove it. Will also try to flush. thanks again
Chris

Old 12-30-07, 06:56 PM
M
Good luck. Let us know how you make out. There may have been a problem with it when you bought it. Hope we can get it worked out for you.

Later,

Bob