'85 Nighthawk 700SC cam chain noise

Old 05-14-08, 07:51 AM
Question '85 Nighthawk 700SC cam chain noise

Howdy-recently bought CB700SC w/ 34K has cam chain noise, & I can't locate a adjustment screw, even in the Honda shop manual. A ny advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Todd

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-08, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Been a while since my motorcycle days, but maybe forward of the cylinders in the center? Where it was last bike I had that was a 4-stroke. Could also be an automatic tensioner, but I think there would be a visible housing in about that same location.

Definitely has one because I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...9QQrefidZstore

Old 05-14-08, 11:39 AM
Group Moderator
Success (sort of):

Found elsewhere:

"In 1984, the largest U.S. Nighthawk, the CB700SC, was introduced. It hit the showrooms with an all new engine, with DOHC and automatic cam chain tensioners. "

Soooo, you probably have a tensioner part worn or stuck. Haven't figured out where it's mounted exactly, but most likely would be forward center I think where some of the old manual adjusters were.

Old 05-15-08, 06:46 PM
nighthawk

Is there by chance an access hole on the bottom of the primary case? A buddy from work has one and i'll ask him or take a look at his.

Old 05-17-08, 11:55 AM
700S can chain racket

Hello, this is my first post here. I am a 700S owner and belong to the xlnt Yahoo groups nighthawk forum. We discuss this malady all the time, and no, the S does NOT have a manual adjuster. Inside the engine is a camchain tensioner which usually fails around 35k miles, sorry to say. The death rattle you hear is the tensioner about to break which will trash the chain and possibly ruin your mill. It is required that you have a manual, I highly recommend the Honda S manual, and you can replace the tensioner w/o pulling the engine. But you'll need to pull the head. It's involved...but reply here or email me and I can give you more info, or just join or lurk a while on the Yahoo NH list...a great source for tips and tricks for a great bike...congrats, 700S's are terrific and very EZ to keep up. Best, Doc