Exhaust system removal on '91 Nighthawk 750

Old 05-25-08, 11:51 AM
Exhaust system removal on '91 Nighthawk 750

I need to remove the exhaust system of my Nighthawk in order to save it from a rust attack. I have unscrewed all the bolts in accordance with the service manual (which I incidentally downloaded from www.e-junkie.com). However, the manual gave me no clue as to how I should proceed from there. It's a standard 4-into-2 system with a connection between the pipes under the engine. The obstacle is this connection. With that in place, I can neither move the pipes forward to get them off the engine block, and nor move them sideways to separate them. So, there obviously has to be a trick. Does anybody know it?
I'd be ever so thankful for any suggestions! The bike is otherwise in a very fine state, summer's here and I must be on the road again soon!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 09:18 PM
pop the round covers off of the headers where they come out of the engine, you said that you had removed the bolts, these should be held on by studs with nuts. once these covers are off the headers should be loose enough to remove the pipes. you did loosen the clamp that holds the cross pipe together didn't you? a couple of licks with a rubber mallet should loosen that connection enough to separate the exhausts.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 06-15-08, 02:01 PM
I need to remove the exhaust system of my Nighthawk in order to save it from a rust attack
Dollar Bargain Store: Bag of large ballons.... One over each pipe...

Problem solved.

I actually use this on my pickup truck which sits for weeks at a time. Got tired of replacing the exhaust system every year for inspection. Never mind those explosions if you forget to remove the ballons.

Old 06-20-08, 07:02 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by wobweeder View Post
Dollar Bargain Store: Bag of large ballons.... One over each pipe...

Problem solved.

I actually use this on my pickup truck which sits for weeks at a time. Got tired of replacing the exhaust system every year for inspection. Never mind those explosions if you forget to remove the ballons.
Oh, and you can also wrap the exhaust pipe in some newspaper sheets before putting thse bags over it. You know, that paper can absorb moisture very good if waterdrops form inside the bag.

Try it, newspaper is very good absobant