motor oil in my air filter and breather on my scooter

Old 06-18-08, 09:57 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb motor oil in my air filter and breather on my scooter

I have a chinese GY6 150 cc motor Kinlon scooter. I have been keeping an eye on the oil one day I checked it and it was low. I thought it was leaking. I took the air filter off to clean it at the recommended interval and noticed it was full of oil and so was the breather. How do I troubleshoot this problem and how do I fix it ?

Old 06-19-08, 07:25 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
It's a good question for a GY6 tech. However, there's a lot of common ground among four stroke engines and most crankcase breather setups are pretty simple.

Every engine has a certain amount of combustion gases that blow by the piston rings into the crankcase. Those are typically vented into the intake of an engine to be recycled through the engine. In an automotive application you would have a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve to prevent a backfire from the engine going back to the crankcase. You may just have the tube from the crankcase to the breather/air filter.

You should also have a shield in/or on the crankcase to prevent excessive oil from entering the tube. Assuming the oil level is correct and the placement of the tube collecting the crankcase gases is where it was designed to be, along with it's shield, all you would normally get up the tube are gases a little oil residue.

With your problem, I would first check the oil level in the crankcase for overfill, then the shielding device at the crankcase end of the breather tube. If all of that is in place you may have excessive blowby = needing a new set of rings. Usually a bad set of rings(compression and oil control) will give you oil burning in the combustion chamber as well = blue smoke. The rings we're talking about for the blow by would be the compression ring which could be checked with a compression tester.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Old 06-19-08, 07:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This often happens in ATVs after it flips over on it's back. Might be a storage issue, or a one-time tip over. Clean it out and see if it happens again.

The oil breather feeds back to the air box. The oil pressure pulsates with piston firing, so there needs to be clean air for the engine oil area. If you have oil in your air filter, and you aren't doing 'Extreme' stunts with your ride, then you 've got some issue with your oil distribution system.

Like I said, if you aren't sloshing the oil around a lot, and you still get oil in your air box, this would be an alarm of the highest magnitude. I'd tear down the engine and check all the bearing seals and gaskets.

Might also happen if you refill your oil WAY too high. I've seen that and was surprised the engine actually runs. It had a drastic drop in power as the crankshaft mucked around deep in oil. It threw so much oil around that the air filter was drenched all the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question