piston shaft is broke and need to remove flywheel

Old 07-13-08, 04:02 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation piston shaft is broke and need to remove flywheel

i have a briggs ans stratton motor model number 60202

it would not start so me and my dad tore it apart we found that the piston shaft is broken and we need a new one. we cannot find a place to get it shipped and we would like to know about how much it would cost to repair. also i would like to know how to get to the valves we would like to clean them a bit, and we need to know if you have to remove the flywheel if it is possible i need very detailed instructions on how to do so.

please if u know any thing we can use it. im about to give up and i dont want to

Old 07-13-08, 07:00 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Is the piston connecting rod broken? That would be what connects the piston to the crankshaft. You should be able to get that through one of the Briggs and Stratton parts dealers. I would just Google for Briggs and Stratton parts. Then on their order screen enter your engine model number. That would give you an exploded diagram of the engine. The rod shouldn't be overly expensive if it hasn't done some other damage.

For the valves, pull off the head (pretty simple) and you'll see the valves. The springs and keepers for removing them are behind an access plate on the face of the engine.

The flywheel is accessed by pulling the shroud with the pull starter. Then take off the center fixing nut. Sometimes you can remove the flywheel by putting a little press behind it with a hammer handle, while you carefully tap on the outside of it with a hammer. A lot of times they'll pop off. If you have a stubborn one, it's best to get a puller to take it off.

I believe that engine or a variation of it runs around $950 new. It would be worth fixing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question