Making a One wheel drive go-kart faster?

Old 07-15-08, 06:06 PM
Making a One wheel drive go-kart faster?

1. To make my one wheel drive go-kart faster would I have to get a centrifugal clutch with more teeth and make the sprocket on the axle smaller? Or do I leave the sprocket alone? I have a 1 wheel drive, 5hp briggs with a chain. I know I have to get a clutch with more teeth, but do I put a small sprocket too? Or is that bad?

2. What does "torque" mean?

Last edited by Aryukei; 07-15-08 at 06:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-08, 08:14 AM
Group Moderator
Putting either a larger drive sprocket (engine end) or a smaller driven sprocket (drive wheel) accomplishes the same thing - more speed.

The trade off is that you will lose acceleration performance.

Putting a smaller drive sprocket or a larger driven sprocket accomplishes the opposite - quicker acceleration, but lower top speed.

Torque = twisting force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Old 07-16-08, 10:17 AM
My Go-Kart doesn't run on 2 sprockets. It runs on a centrifugal clutch and a sprocket with a chain...

Old 07-16-08, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
The centrifugal clutch has "teeth"? That's the drive "sprocket" - more teeth = more speed, but less acceleration; less teeth = better acceleration, but less top speed.

Old 07-16-08, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
The centrifugal clutch has "teeth"? That's the drive "sprocket" - more teeth = more speed, but less acceleration; less teeth = better acceleration, but less top speed.
Oh. Then my bad. I'm going to buy a drive sprocket with more teeth I ment. But I was asking if I made the Sprocket on the axle smaller, would that also give it even more speed? Look at this picture. http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...IMG_0001-3.jpg

Old 07-16-08, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Aryukei
Its not that hard to figure out...jeez. A smaller sprocket on the drive shaft will increase your speed. As will a larger gear on the clutch. It has to have the right number of teeth for the chain though.

Old 07-16-08, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Aryukei
Its not that hard to figure out...jeez. A smaller sprocket on the drive shaft will increase your speed. As will a larger gear on the clutch. It has to have the right number of teeth for the chain though.
Uh...You can't put a sprocket on a clutch...A clutch has a sprocket of it's own...Which is really small..

Old 07-16-08, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Yes, I know the clutch has an integral gear. So either replace the clutch or replace the driven gear on the shaft. I didn't say to replace the gear/sprocket on the clutch. You still need the correct number of teeth for the chain and gears you are using. Don't be obtuse.

Old 07-17-08, 04:11 AM
Aryukei, do not get carried away with your adjustments, one more tooth on the clutch equals about five less teeth on the axle sprocket. More than likely easier to find a sprocket for the axle. Also like gunguy said be sure and get a sprocket with the proper pitch for your chain.

Old 07-17-08, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
You can do it mathematically, too. Count the number of teeth on the clutch/drive sprocket and the number on the axle sprocket. Let's say it's 8 & 40. That's a 1:5 ratio. The higher the ratio (1:6, 1:8, 1:10) the slower you will go, but with better acceleration. The lower the number (1:4, 1:3) the faster you go, but with less acceleration. And yes, changing the size of both sprockets will make for an even more drastic change, so if you started out with 8/40 for a 1:5 ratio and changed to 10/30 you would drop down to 1:3. Just be aware that at some point you will get such a low ratio that you may not be able to get going from a standstill - think driving a manual tranny car and getting away from a stop sign in third gear.

Old 07-17-08, 06:35 PM
Along with what's already been said, you will also be replacing the clutch more often as it will be spinning longer before getting a full engagement.

For the best of both worlds, get a variable speed drive assembly.
These use the same technique as golf carts and some cars with two belt pulleys that change size as the speed increases. You get low end power with top end speed.

At about $150 or so, they aren't as cheap a new sprocket and chain.

Surf the net for some kart supply houses.