Gas Scooter Problems (wont start)

Old 08-01-08, 11:26 AM
Gas Scooter Problems (wont start)

Hey everybody, just want to start off by saying im new here and hopefully you guys can help me out. About 2 years ago I bought a 2 stroke gas scooter from a flea market. Im guessing it's either 43cc or 49cc as I have another one that is very similar and is a 49cc. But anyways when I first got it, it ran great. No problems what so ever. It started very easily. It has both a pull start and an electric start. After about a month of me having it the pull start stopped working and it was very hard to get it started with the electric start. I would have to charge the battery fully and then when I went to start it, it would usually drain the battery completley and not start and I would have to charge the battery again and if I was lucky it would start. But most of the time I could not get it to start. Well like I said I got another scooter, 49cc 2 stroke so I stopped using the other one since the new one started right away every time. However about two days ago I decided to try and get it started again keep in mind it was sitting for about 12-16 months and before I let it sit I ran out all of the gas in it so it wouldnt turn to sludge. After pulling it out I discovered that the battery would not charge and soon found out that the problem was a blown fuse. I replaced it with the spare and that problem was sloved. I allowed it to fully charge and then put gas in it (the right mixture of gas and 2 cycle oil) and once again no luck. Would not start by the pull start and drained the whole battery with out it starting ( it does turn over though just doesnt start) and I made sure the choke was closed. I gave up last night as it was late and decided to go back today. First thing I did was replace the spark plug and made sure I was getting a spark which I was and it was a strong spark. But still wouldn't start. So I poured about a teaspoon and a half of gas down the spark plug hole and tried to start it but once again no luck. My dad is bringing home carb cleaner tonight from his job and I planned on cleaning the carburetor and the air filter but please if you could take the time to try and help me it would be very very appretiated. You look like a smart bunch here and I'm sure someone might be able to help. Thanks soo much and sorry for the post being long, I just wanted to inform as much as possible to help for a clearer answer.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-08, 12:04 PM
As always it can a number of things, but a typical problem with what you're describing is a lack of compression. That will do everything you're having problems with, especially after spoon feeding it.

When you pull on the pull starter does it have a distinctive compression resistance? It should turn over easy one time and on the next time over you should feel a lot of resistance, even in a 49 cc job. If you don't have that, I would rent or borrow a compression tester from an auto parts store. If the compression is under 100 lbs = new set of rings/piston/cylinder reconditioning.

Old 08-01-08, 03:51 PM
When I pull the pull starter it feels and sounds the same every time and it doesnt sound like there is a lack of compression. I am now getting ready to go clean the carb and air filter so hopefully it will help.

Old 08-01-08, 05:16 PM
If you're saying it doesn't feel like it has to go over a hump on every other engine rotation, you have a lack of compression. There's nothing you can hear that would tell you about the compression - short of having a major leak.

Without compression working on the carburetor isn't going to fix it.

Old 08-01-08, 05:49 PM
I agree.

If you have spark and pour a little gas down the spark plug hole it should always fire if you have any reasonable compression. If it starts and stalls you might have a carb or intake problem.

Old 08-01-08, 07:14 PM
Ok well Im done trying to mess with it for tonight but I'll check out the compression tomorrow. It would make more sense than anything being wrong with the carb though I would bet it could use a cleaning. Thanks so mucg guys you have been so much help.

Old 10-15-08, 08:59 PM
My best guess is your REED VALVES

I've had this problem after installing a 70 CC on my 50 CC

The REED VALVES blew up, the scooter stop and never started again.