Melix golf cart runs slow up hill

Old 08-18-08, 01:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Melix golf cart runs slow up hill

I just purchased an old Melix electric golf cart, model 212. The cart has 6- 12 volt batteries. When charged it runs very well on the level, slight grade. However, when I tried for the first time to go uphill on our private road it barely made it up the grade, and I had just put in a full charge. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but not an expert in engines (gas/electric) could it be the motor is just old? Would the accellerator swith have anything to do with this, as I notice sometimes if I push on the gas pedal nothing happens, unless I repeat this a few times. Other times it works fine. Looking for any advice. Thank you

Old 08-24-08, 03:25 PM
D
slow melix

first, i dont think that your batts are 12 volt, that would make your cart a 72v cart, they are 6v batts, that makes it a 36v cart. check water level in all cells and check all connections, if you can, load test each batt, most likely you will find a low batt that drags the whole series of batts down, thus no nads for the cart

Old 08-26-08, 01:43 PM
D
thank you. I am going to buy a volt/amp tester tomorrow and check all the batteries this weekend. What should the volt reading be for each battery, after fully charged?

Old 09-04-08, 11:44 AM
D
Well, I checked these last weekend, they are in fact 12 volt, sealed, UPS, batteries. I called C&D Technologies who made these Dynasty batteries and the technician said these batteries are probably, 2 sets of 3, are probably wired parallel,and only the capacity is increased, otherwise I would not be able to charge them.

My concern is can I be doing any harm to any of the other components, ie; motor, control panel, solonoid,etc? The batteries are designed to last 10 years, they are 5 & 6 years old now, however, when I tested each of them registered 12.1 to 12.5 on the voltage meeter.

Do I gain anything if I would replace these now with six - 6 volt batteries?

Old 09-04-08, 02:53 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is possible that the motor brushes need replacing, and the commutator needs resurfacing.

Old 09-05-08, 09:19 AM
D
Thanks One-Of, how difficult is it to replace the brushes and how do I know to order the correct brushes? and what the heck is a commutator?

Old 09-05-08, 04:49 PM
O
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you don't know all that, get someone to do it for you.
Different motors, different methods of repairs.

Old 09-11-08, 03:32 PM
H
Those voltage numbers you posted are low. If your only seeing 12.1 volts after a charge the batteries are bad. You would be much better off with six 6 volt cart batteries.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question