I just bought a Kawasaki 220...

Old 08-28-08, 09:28 PM
I just bought a Kawasaki 220...

bayou. The electric start is not working. It's killing me to pull start it. How hard is it to get it fixed? Is it something I can do? How much is it "probably" going to cost?

Can I go online to somekind of manual to fix it? It is a 94' Kawasaki 220 bayou 4-wheeler. It's in pretty good condition. The reverse does work. The headlight and taillight does not work. But it's fun!!!!!!!!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-08, 10:46 PM
First look for relays tripped or fuses blown, dirty or bad connections.

Try testing the connection at the starter for current with the key in "start" position. If you have current there you may have a problem in the starter. Before you disassemble anything, make sure the connection to the starter is clean and passing current well.

If it is the starter will have to be removed and cleaned or repaired. Those starters aren't cheap.

If you have nothing at the starter, work your way back through the electrical circuit. From the starter you would have the solenoid, then ignition switch, then fuse or relay, then battery.

The problem would have to be in one of those.

Old 08-29-08, 09:28 PM
bayou

first turn the ignition switch to run like you are going to start it. Does it just make a clicking sound. is the battery good. If so,
then run a screwdriver across the 2 bigger wires at the solenoid, if it starts its probably the solenoid. Chances thats what it is ?

Old 09-19-08, 12:22 AM
Can you tell me what a solenoid is? Better yet, can you send me a picture of what a solenoid looks like.

Kyle

Old 09-19-08, 04:32 AM
Here's an image link for you on a 2000 model, Kyle. Where it says "Ref starter motor" at the end of the cable coming over from the battery. That's the solenoid. It would be referred to in the parts manual as a relay.

They use those things to provide an electrical contact that can handle the heavy current demands of the starter motor with a contact that can be switched on and off (as with the ignition switch).

So they put a heavy pair of contacts in a casing with an electromagnet to open and close them. The electromagnet has low current demand so they can operate the heavy contact with a small regulated wire through the ignition switch.

http://webservices.motorsportdealers...1737/F2760.Gif