Surging on Murray go kart with Tecumseh OHH60

Old 09-29-08, 06:01 AM
Surging on Murray go kart with Tecumseh OHH60

I am working on a 5 year old Murray with a OHH60 engine.

It would not start, but after cleaning the carb almost all appears fine and it seems to run well under power.

However, the governor seems to be commanding a continuing engine surge, about one vrooom per second at what is supposed to be idle. I can hold my finger on the butterfly and it will seem to idle without dying, but as soon I let it loose the surging starts.

All the springs seem to be right. What is the next step in resolving this? Is the governor stuck or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-08, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like the carb. seeds a little adjusing. I'm not familiar with that engine. Can you adjust the high and low speed jets?

Old 09-29-08, 11:31 PM
Old 10-01-08, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
It sounds like the carb. seeds a little adjusing. I'm not familiar with that engine. Can you adjust the high and low speed jets?
There appears to me to be no adjustment to the jets - the carb is rather clean.

I also had the book below but it does not seem to address this issue.

Old 10-02-08, 05:23 AM
Here's a link to a service manual on Tecumseh engines. It downloads in PDF format - pretty comprehensive. It may have about the same information as the posting by "imliljim".

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Most surging (or hunting), assuming linkages to the governor/carb are tight, comes from a lean mixture. That could be an adjustment, as Pilot points out, or a jet that has a partial blockage. If you can even out the surging with a partial choking of the engine = lean mixture causing the problem.

Check the bottom of the float bowl for a needle adjustment. That would be for the main jet. If adjustments don't work for you, I would think about taking the carb apart and cleaning it.