Tecumseh 6.5 Power Sport won't idle

Old 10-05-08, 05:22 PM
Tecumseh 6.5 Power Sport won't idle

I have a Go-Kart with a Tecumseh engine. I bought a carb kit and did a clean and rebuild but I obviously missed something. The engine starts on first pull, will run about two seconds, and then die if I don't throttle it all the way up. If I throttle it all the way up when I start it the engine runs fine but if I let it slow to an idle it will die. The only adjustment screw I see is on the throttle lever. Did I miss something while cleaning it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-08, 06:16 PM
There should be a mixture screw on it. Here's a link for a manual:

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 10-05-08, 06:58 PM
Is the mixture screw the problem or a clog?

Should I clean the unit again.

Old 10-05-08, 07:01 PM
My carb appears to be a series 6 carb

according to the manual. There are no adjustment screws and a large primer bulb on the side.

Old 10-05-08, 07:59 PM
Yeah, it shows the series 6 as non-adjustable. It would likely be in the idle circuit = a clog. But it could be an overly rich mixture caused by an improper float setting.

First get it running and allow it to run at the lowest rpm it can and keep running. Let it run at that rpm for about ten minutes. Then kill the engine with the ignition and pull the plug. If it looks normal (light brown - no sootiness) the idle circuit is plugged. If the plug is blackened = rich mixture = check the float setting or weak spark.

Did it start acting up and that was why you were doing the carb kit? If so what was it doing? Did you change the primer bulb when you did the kit?

Old 10-06-08, 04:17 AM
It was acting the same way before I did the kit

and it was also leaking from around the bowl. I did not change the primer bulb in doing the rebuild kit since one did not come with the kit.