E CYCLE electric bike charger burned on first plug in !

Old 11-04-08, 08:36 AM
E CYCLE electric bike charger burned on first plug in !

I picked up a brand new E Cycle at a flea market,drove it around on a couple of rides and seeing that it could use a battery boost plugged in the adaptor end to the battery and almost immediately smoke started coming out of the black charger box. I unplugged it from the battery ,checked that everything was turned off then plugged the charger into the ac outlet on the wall then the adaptor into the battery...no burning this time and the charge red light is flashing on the charge box but on checking after 5 hrs of charging the full indicator is not registering. Is the charger just kaput and did I make a mistake plugging the charger into the battery first?
The battery charger is Qili Power Input :AC 1000-240V 50/60Hz 1.5 A, output 36V---1670mA. No manual with this bike!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-08, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It does sound like the charger is shot. It should not make a difference whether the charger is attached to the battery before or after power is applied. It does sound like a dead short blew the charger. If, when you find a replacement charger, make certain that the connector on the E cycle is wired up correctly and that the positive wire does not have any bare spot touching the frame or another wire.

The input voltage on the charger is 100 - 240 volts. Was that set correctly for your house power. Also, I believe that it has various output voltages. 36 volts would be three 12 volt batteries wired in series. Is that what you have?

Old 11-04-08, 11:02 AM
This is one battery that is removeable from the bike. It locks in place under the seat so that you can charge the bike by simply plugging it into a regular house outlet.There is no place on the charger where you would change any settings.
Thanks for helping...sounds like I'll be looking for a new charger.

Old 11-04-08, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Remove the battery and tell us what specifications are marked on it. It may be a 12 volt gel cell or deep cycle, or ???

Old 11-04-08, 05:52 PM
battery charger

I will do that...remove the battery for specifications. In the mean time I have picked up another charger and plugged it in. It is supposed to show a green light when fully charged and red when charging. It showed a green light right off the start but since it wasn't burning this time and the bike still showed low battery have left it plugged in.

This charger is the same as the last. Qili power Class 2 power supply model QL 08011- B3601670f I believe this is a Chinese product. Has anyone used one of these or any knowledge of it.

I'll have the specs on the battery in the morning if I don't get it charged up.
Thanks again.

Old 11-05-08, 11:07 AM
Unhappy e cycle

So the bike is real low this morning after a futile ride (hoping there was some charging going on during the night). The battery is out and there is absolutely nothing written on it. I think it is what is called an SLA battery ,it weighs about 16 lb. and has 2 small metal contact points on the bottom that connect to the bike. The charging input spot has 3 small holes for the charge adaptor.
This is no longer fun...(shall stay away from the flea market)
Maybe head to a bike shop and see about batteries compatible with this thing and a charger that works?

Old 11-05-08, 11:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I did a little search and found a 12 volt, 12 amp hour sealed lead acid battery that a user said fit his 1999 E Bike.

No way to tell if it would be for your bike. I agree that your next best step would be to take the battery and the charger to a shop and see what they have to say.

Flea markets - sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Old 09-18-09, 01:02 PM
same problem

does the battery pack say ecycle??. if so it sounds like the same problem i have had.
the pack contains 3 12v 12Ah (lead acid batteries) wired in series to give you 36v.
you may not have destroyed the battery charger, but burnt out the batteries. to test this try to find 3 12v batteries and wire them in series and then connect the charger to it, it should charge them, if not then , yea the charger is shot too,

another test is to take apart the batteriy pack and connect a 12v charger to 1 battery and see if it charges it, do this for all 3 batteries, if they charge, then its definitely your charger, if not, then the batteries need to be replaced.

i had no charger, so i hooked up a 36v power supply and nothing, the batteries just got hot, but i think the batteries were already shot.

does any one know how to tell for sure if a battery is damaged beyond repair

oh, by the way, since i have the pack apart, im want to install a small 12v solar panel on the back and then inside the case make another connection point to all 3 batteries,
i know i must use diodes in this new circuit, but is that feasible??