Arctic Cat low end bog please help

Old 11-29-08, 10:25 AM
Arctic Cat low end bog please help

I run a 1989 arctic cat jag 440 with a 79 440 jag motor(liquid).
This sled runs great and idels really good!! starts first pull every time. The problem is until you get a good track speed going, there is no power, the sled will just not accelerate well until that slightly higher track speed is reached, then it just seems to run great, lots of power, lots of speed. I noticed the track was a bit to tight so I loosened it off a bit but it didnt help. Carbs seem to be clean and running well.
any ideas?????

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-08, 06:10 PM
It really doesn't sound like an engine problem, but rather in the drive train - specifically the drive ratio. It's like having a five speed truck start off in third gear when it should start off in low.

Check your clutch and drives to make sure everything is freed up and releasing to the lower ratios.

When the engine starts/idles well and runs hard in the mid to upper range, it's doing OK.

Old 11-29-08, 06:48 PM
ya i kinda figured the same things. im going to try a slightly smaller belt and clean and lube the primary

thanks

Old 11-29-08, 07:28 PM
I think when you get everything pulled back like it should be everything will work well in the lower speeds.

Old 12-01-08, 01:29 PM
so i took the sled out to test it and after i started it and moved it about 3 feet it died. now when i try to start it I can only get it to run for a couple of seconds like maby 20, then if i touch the gas it jsut dies. if i let it idel it will run for a bit longer but then it dies as well. i changed the plugs thinking that i fouled one but no luck. what the heck is going on. it ran like a top until this last trip

Old 12-01-08, 03:47 PM
I'm curious to see what fixes your problem. I have a 1977 Yamaha 440 Exciter that has a similar sounding problem. When I first take it out for the day it runs scary strong for about 20 or 30 minutes. Then all of a sudden the power is gone. It idles but won't make enough power to move. I had it figured for an ignition problem. I replaced the coil (the one on the outside of the engine that the plug wires go to) but that didn't help it. Obviously I'm not a snowmobile expert, but I wonder if the problem could be one of the coils under the fly wheel. The head light doesn't work either.

Old 12-01-08, 03:54 PM
its sounds to me like maby your piston rings are worn out or ready to break because every time the sled heats up you loose power right?? sound s like rings heating up then expanding and loosing compression. my problem is diffrent my sled ran great up until my last trip[ out when i unloaded it it ran fine i let it warm up for a few minuites then when i went to move it it jsut died. now when i start it like i said it barley runs and will not move then it jsut simply dies. i jsut dont get it

somebody help me

Old 12-01-08, 10:06 PM
geeze do i ever sound desperate

Old 12-15-08, 11:39 AM
go to your local auto parts store and get a compression guage, sounds like your rings are shot. Another thing is your crank seal could be leaking as well, being an older sled id say its one of those 2 things

Old 12-17-08, 11:20 AM
pretty good diagnosis because i did go get a tester and one of the jusgs is definatly low like 35lb as compared to 168lb in the good side. so i do hope its just the rings because i ordered head gaskets and a set of rings but not a crank gasket I hope its just the rings. so just change the rings and put in a new head gaskeet and try that i guess??

Old 01-10-11, 11:55 AM
ok i just fixed my artic cat.i replaced carb and coil,but still run the same.then i noticed there was hardly any air coming out the tail pipe.it has a screen in it and it was clogged up bad.i just toke it out and it runs like new.it would sometime run great then aweful like no power.i worked on it for 5 days before finding this out.best of luck to you.