Vavle Adjustments? 200cc go cart engine

Old 12-20-08, 02:41 PM
Unhappy Vavle Adjustments? 200cc go cart engine

I have a 196cc Tecumseh racing engine. I bought it for 200 bucks, but it didn't and doesn't run. i took the whole engine apart and cleaned everything. In the process i had to take the head and ohv's off. i hooked it all up and pulled for about an hour with no success. no smoke, no heat , no noise, NOTHING! I thought it was the valves, because when i spun it or pulled it, air was going out the carb and none out the exhaust. I took the cover on top off and loosened the rocker screws to make the valves close more, and now they do but a good amount of air still comes through it. When i put starting fluid in the carb or cylinder throught the spark plug, nothing happens and there is no difference in the sound or anything of the engine. nothing happens. I took the spark plug off and checked for a spark, i couldn't see one, but when i hook a voltage tester up to it, it reads like 14 through 20 volts. I thought that maybe the metal or wires in the cap that goes on the spark plug head aren't touching the spark plug and i have to try something too see if i can get a spark...

I think i will go outside ( in the 15 degree weather) and bunch some small metal wire in the cap to make more contact on the spark plug.

Berrr be right back.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-08, 06:02 PM
tried it

i tried the spark with the foil but before that i was testing it with a voltage tester and i had the positive in the spark cap thing and the negative in my hand and i pulled it randomly and i got shocked. I tried it with the foil and nothing. I have a question though.My question is if you spray starter fluid into an engine without a carburetor, it will still spark and ignite, right?

Last edited by alternatenergy; 12-20-08 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-20-08, 08:14 PM
It sounds like you have the valve timing off. Try pulling the starter rope with the plug out and your finger/thumb in the plug hole. See if you get any compression. Make sure your plug wire is out of the way so you don't get shocked.

Old 12-20-08, 08:27 PM
Yeah!

Yeah i thought it had something to do with the timing too! It has good compression, better than most, but beffore i loosened the bolt on the rockers, it had almost no compression. What should I do? As i said before i go shocked so i know that works, but i can't seem to see a spark when i ground and pull the spark plug. Before you ask i just bought the plug yesterday so its good lol. I sprayed some starter fluid into the spark plug hole and tried that but i think since the timing is off, the engine wont fire and nothing happens.

Old 12-21-08, 08:19 AM
It's the timing on the valve cam I was referring to. If that is a current engine it would either have a CID box or just the ignition module. If it has the box there would be other things you need to look at, but if it's just the module, about the only thing that affects the timing of the ignition is the flywheel key.

First what is the model and number from the engine?

Then, so you're playing it safe on the valve clearances (and this is not performance settings), rotate the engine so you have the maximum clearance at the intake valve and set the clearance to .006. That is a little more than it should be, but it'll work to get started. Then do the same with the exhaust valve and set it to .008. If you have an OHV the clearances will be much smaller.

Now, pull the plug and attach a tester/spark plug to the plug lead wire and rotate the engine until you get the spark. Check to see if both valve rockers have clearances.

Post back.

Old 12-21-08, 03:10 PM
the engine is a 6.5 tecumseh i think racing model. It is the stock engine on the big yerf dog go cart.... The go cart is Yerf Dog 3206 Go Kart and the engine is very similar to this one but i cant see the model number without taking the engine off and i don't want to do that because it takes about an hour to take it off and put it back on... OH195EP-71803..

The Engine does not have a timing box or anything special. it is pretty much just a run of the mill, cheaper engine. It has the pull start only, and the head. Then on top off the head it has the OHV cover. what i thikn the problem is is that the valve rockers are tightened too tight or too loose. Whatcha think?

Old 12-21-08, 03:15 PM
i get it now...

oh i see what you mean actually. yah when i opened the engine up on the bottom, the push rods cam out and they could have gone in at any time in the secquence... Damn lol i hate taking that engine off it takes for every for it to jiggle loose of the frame. Alright thanks...

Wait, before i go out there and screw it up, how do i make sure it is at the correct timing? If you don't rspond tonight and i have time to go out and freeze my ass of then i'll try anyway cause i think i got it, but if you do that would be great.

Thanks a lot

Old 12-21-08, 03:23 PM
There would be timing marks on the cam/crank to set everything up. The crank gear (smaller) has a mark that matches up with the cam gear (larger one) Have you had those marks and the procedure to work with when you put the engine together?

Old 12-21-08, 04:25 PM
no, that was the first time i opened the bottom of an engine, I've doen 2 or 3 since then, bu i never saw any marks... um ok let me get this strait. I take of the clutch assembly, and the spacers, then i remove the outer side of the motor, pull out the gears and put them back in with the lines all matching up? That sounds right to me lol is that right?

Old 12-21-08, 05:28 PM
The timing marks are on the two gears and you align them when you reassemble the gears. So, yeah, it sounds like we're on the same page.

Old 12-21-08, 07:45 PM
Looks Good!

I lined the key on the shaft up with the square bump on the gar that pushes the rods, and it feel like it should, easy, then hard then easy again. the compression is whats hard. it feels like it's going to be pretty tough to pull. Oh well as long as it runs good i dont care. Tommorrow afternoon i will try to pull it, becasue it is almost 10 at night, i don't want to wake the neighbors and it's to cold to mount it on the go cart. So, Fingers crossed, i'll try it tommorrow. Thanks for all your help! It would have taken me a long time (if ever) to think of what you said with the gears.

Night lol

Old 12-22-08, 01:07 PM
piece off crap didn't work. ideas?