Ariens Snowblower breathing fire

Old 12-22-08, 07:14 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ariens Snowblower breathing fire

Hi all,
I have been struggling with this older 8 HP Ariens snowblower for about a week now. We've had a ton of snow here and it seems every time I go to use the thing something else goes wrong.

It was sitting in a warehouse unused for several years. I changed the spark plug and put new gas in it. ..got it to start. It ran way too hot and actually would spit fire out of the exhaust. then it would kick back down itself and run fine before repeating.

to fix this i replaced the carberator. now it still runs way too hot and fast except when i'm in deep snow. ..then it's fine. it's to the point where blue flames are shooting from the exhaust an the metal there is actually red hot.

i tried adjusting the screw on the carberator, but it doesn't seem to help. Either it's sputtering, or it's racing.

Besides these problems I also had the fuel line break twice and both tires go flat, so as you can imagine, i'm pretty frustrated by now.

We have more snow coming, so any advice would be appreciated!

Old 12-24-08, 06:21 PM
M
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
The fire spitting out the exhaust may be an indication of a leaking exhaust valve or you could have some other problems. Since you have some performance problems and a hot exhaust you might try setting the carburetor a little richer. If you have an adjusting screw on the bottom of the float bowl, try turning it out until the thing runs a little better or a little cooler. Use a good grade of fuel to prevent pre-ignition = hotter engine. Also check the air flow through the cooling fins and the fins themselves for obstructions.

A engine racing on a four stroke would usually lean toward the governor or its linkage. An air leak can cause an engine to run a little fast, but it sounds like a governor issue.

Depending on how good you want to get it, I think I would do a compression check at least on it to get an idea where you're starting. A leak down test would tell you a lot more, but that test is a little more specialized.

Was the carburetor a new one or one borrowed from an existing engine? A carburetor meant for a different application may have a jet size too small for the engine you're running.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question