Yamaha, electric, golf cart

Old 01-17-09, 10:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yamaha, electric, golf cart

My neighbor, has enlisted my tools, & mechanical assistance, toward, trouble shooting, a noisy drive train, encountered with his Yamaha, electric, golf cart, not sure of the year model. It sounds under power, a little howly, but not extreme, my concern is of something, feels loose, power on, to power off, coasting, well sounds loose, feels loose, I've yet to jack it up, on stands, to trouble shoot, plan to grease all serts, drain differential, check all drive train mounts, nuts, bolt's, etc. My question, what type of gear oil, wght., mineral, or would synthetic, be reccomended? Also, this cart developes, a little, rock, or hop, like a flat spot on tire's, but I think more related to the what ever, that's come loose. Appreciate, any and all info, you may have to offer, as does my neighbor. Thank's baluga

Old 01-18-09, 07:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,571 Votes on 1,412 Posts
I have used synthetic in the rear end but have not noticed any difference over standard oil. You should be fine with any standard type 80 or 90wt gear oil.

The howling sound? I would block the back end so the wheels are off the ground to make it easier to track down the noise. I'm wondering if a bearing is bad.

As for the loose, clunky, bouncing... Yamahas are pretty reliable. Most looseness or clunkiness I've seen has been in the front end. The kingpin bushings are a regular wear item and you might need to tighten the steering box. Jack up the front end and grab a front wheel and wiggle. Hold the wheel at the very top and bottom and wiggle, then hold the front & back edges of the wheel and wiggle. You are checking for worn kingpin bushings (mainly when you wiggle while holding the top & bottom) and control arm and steering box issues (mainly when holding the front/back of the wheel).

Old 01-21-09, 08:16 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appreciate all the info. Kingpins, were fine, but steering box, did require a little tightening. All tires were seriously under inflated! Evened out at 20#, what a diffference, howly is gone. Brake cables, and linkage inside hubs @ rear, were real sticky, right rear, dragging severe. Total clean up, & silicone lube, differential oil R&R, synthetic, you know, just like to spend more money, kindaguy. My bad, I agree the regular gear oil would of been as good. Any how thank's a bunch, my neighbor, & I couldn't wait, on several try out runs on the like brand new drive & ride old golf cart!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question