Oil Filter Removal

Old 01-25-09, 07:37 AM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Oil Filter Removal

The Oil Filter on my '63 Cushman (18 hp a/c twin cylinder) is frozen in place. The filter installation in this cart makes it very difficult to get any type of filter removal tool enough "bite" to get a good grip on it, enough to not tear the ***** out of the filter itself from the top down. I do not want to remove the engine to do this. I have four removal tools, one that clamps and tightens as you pull on the handle of a socket wrench, one that is shaped like the top of the filter and slides on, (also turned with a socket wrench) and two band types, neither of which can get enough "swing to apply enough pressure to turn the filter. My last chance is a tool that resembles a big pair of channel locks, with big teeth on it, but I thought one of you guys might have a better idea!

Last edited by WML13; 01-25-09 at 07:38 AM. Reason: left out a word
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try the belt type, Ive had good luck with these in those hard to reach spots.Last resort is running a screwdriver thru it and tearing the**** out of it.

Old 01-25-09, 05:11 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Oil filter Removal

I will need a tough one that will reach down into a hole only 1/2" bigger in diameter than the filter. It cannot be levered from the side, it has to be levered from the top. I saw one brand sold by Sears that might work. "Cal Van". Do you have any experience with that one?

Last edited by WML13; 01-25-09 at 05:33 PM. Reason: More Information