Polaris 340

Old 01-30-09, 11:19 AM
Polaris 340

I have a 2007 Polaris Edge LX, air cooled electric start. Nice little sled for the kids. Bought it as a hold over last winter. Ran flawless. Stored inside. This winter it started on the secound pull. Battery was dead. Ran great for 700 miles. Started to miss. One plug fouled. Original plugs, 2700 miles on them. Put in new plugs. Would not start, flooded. Plenty of spark. Brought it to a shop. They got it to start, but it runs rough and bangs at higher RPM's. They think something in the top end is wrong. How is this possible? Could the plugs be hooked up wrong? Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-09, 11:42 AM
Plugs hooked up wrong - no - those are pretty elementary. Missing, then fouled plugs, then flooded, but still has good spark = carburetor, gas or fuel pump - my guess.

What in the top end were they talking about and what was the banging you mentioned in the upper rpms?

Old 01-30-09, 12:20 PM
sounds like

Banging noise at high revs never a good thing simple test do a wet and dry compresstion test see if you lost compresstion if so maybe blown head or piston. as engines dont make banging noises at high reves normally. always a bad sign

Old 01-30-09, 01:39 PM
I don't know what they were talking about. It just seems strange to me that it was running fine, started to miss, now there is a banging. When it started to miss it was when my son brought the sled home and it was idling. Ran fine at speed. Makes no sense to me why something like rings or pistons would now be a possible problem. Would a bad plug do this? I had a bad plug from new on a car once and of course it missed, but that was one in 6 so it would not be as obvious. Tanks.

Old 01-30-09, 02:54 PM
Talking in generalities - a bad plug won't make a banging noise, although if the porcelain separated and fell into the cylinder it would do some rattling and possible damage.

Still in generalities - in a two stroke, since you talking about a high rpm engine and the lubrication coming from the oil mixed with the fuel, a lean fuel/air mixture or an injectalube messing up can make a good engine really bad very quickly. If that were the case a set of rings/pistons/cylinder walls could turn to junk in one ride.

Regarding the banging noise, cylinder wall noise would typically show when the engine comes down off high rpms. That is normally piston slap. A loose wrist pin would rattle at all rpms. If the rings were shot, starting would be difficult because of the lack of compression.