Building a go cart with 500 l/c

Old 02-07-09, 09:52 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a go cart with 500 l/c

i am going to be building a go cart with a 500 l/c polaris indy motor, and have a basic idea of what im doing. the problem is, the go cart im using is rather in small engine space. i was wondering if any knows if you can weld a secondary clutch to a directly to a drive axle, and it still function? there really isnt enough room for a drive shaft and chain drive, plus the axle is on the left.

(PS: i really cant stretch it to make room for an axle chain drive, im already going to have to push the seat foward.)

Old 02-08-09, 09:16 AM
M
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
There are a number of different ways to clutch the power transmission to the axle.

You could set up a clutching device on the axle. The driven component would be fixed to the axle, either welded or bolted to a flange, which would likely be welded. The driving member would be linked to your pedal to activate it or there would have to be a governor type flyweight to activate it - if you wanted a centrifugal activation. The latter could be a part of the axle assembly.

I don't know if there is a kit ready made for something like that or if you'd have to fabricate it all. If the latter is the case it would be quite a project and a reasonable amount of "handyman" would be involved.

Old 02-08-09, 02:28 PM
K
i was thinking about using an arctic cat zr/zrt ect clutch with the 500. that way it would be the same concept as the snowmobile (you know, get up to rpm then engage). i think it would be a lot simpler than i think. so would running a drive axle through the clutch and welding it actually work? i looked at the go cart torque converters, and they are the same damn thing as a secondary clutch.

Old 02-08-09, 05:23 PM
M
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Let me get on the same page as what you would like to do.

To establish the driven side of what you're doing is pretty easy. Just weld or bolt that side to the axle in some manner. Now how are you getting the power to that component mounted on the axle?

The principle of what you're talking about is workable. The engineering details may be another matter. It all boils down to how you"re planning on mounting it to the axle so the moving sheave is supported against the pull of the input (belt- assuming it's being modified with a belt drive).

Old 02-08-09, 06:33 PM
K
id like to run it just like a snowmobile, but instead of it running to a chain on the right, it would run to a tire on the left. thats what i woulld like to do, though as i look deeper into it, it seems like i would have to run a sprocket to the drive axle. i would like to know if welding the secondary clutch directly to the drive axle (eliminating a chain) is going to work, and not harm the clutch. i think thats a little clearer, its just a lot harder to explain without a picture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question