yamaha moto 4 transmission

Old 02-11-09, 06:54 PM
yamaha moto 4 transmission

I have excessive amount of slack somewhere in transmission. I took off both side covers and drive shaft boot. It seems to be ok there, but when I rock drive shaft back and forth there is a lot of slack between transmission shaft and crankshaft. Does anyone know if there is a chain inside the cases or not?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-09, 06:28 AM
No there is just gears. You must have a bearing out.

What year and size do you have? I'll see if I can narrow it down for you.

Old 02-12-09, 07:22 PM
I am not sure of year model. here is the number on frame, maybe you can tell me the year model it is. JY42H007HC012447. I don't think I have any bearing problems. The slack seems to be on the same shaft that clutch pack is on. It has the same amount of slack in each gear. It may be normal for that year model. This model has high, low range and reverse. I have remover both side covers and sub transmission. All of that is ok.

Old 02-12-09, 08:41 PM
Are you talking about the movement of one shaft toward the other or the rotation of the drive shaft before it contacts another gear or makes the crank move?

If it's the latter, you'll have a fair amount. You have the ring/pinion lash of the driveshaft, then the back lash of the gears before you get to the engine. There would be tolerances in all those meeting points - perhaps a service manual would have those lash specs.

Even at that, there would be no adjustments, unless the ring/pinion may have something. Your tranny gears are all straight teeth = replace to fix an excess lash.