VT500 warm idle problems

Old 04-08-09, 06:44 AM
Question VT500 warm idle problems

I just recently started riding my 83 Honda Shadow after several years of cold storage. It has 13k on it. I had it completely serviced and it runs great until it warms up. After that it does not idle and just cuts out while down shifting or when stopping. This is not fun and a bit dangerous. How do I adjust this? The service tech said everything was set correctly, hence I have my concerns about his abilities as well. Thanks and I await a response.

Regards,

Doug

What can go wrong...usually does around my place

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-09, 07:16 AM
I would check the choke cable/linkage close. I believe these have an "enrichment" valve instead of a choke plate so you may have to remove the valve to check for free movement of the cable. Make sure you have some free play in the cable & make sure the rubber seal on the bottom of the plunger isn't torn or missing.. Roger

Old 04-08-09, 08:01 AM
Roger,

The choke could be messing up the idle??? If it is not needed then how is it messing with it? It only happens after it is warmed up. Thanks for the response. I didn't want to blindly start trying to adjust the idle screw and you are right they have an enrichment valve.

Regards,

Doug

What can go wrong...usually does around my place!

Old 04-08-09, 05:43 PM
clean the carbs, the low speed jets are stopped up. Just spraying carb cleaner in them will not do, you need to remove and disassemble the carbs. Pull out the low speed jets and work a wire from a wire brush through it. Do not use anything bigger or you risk enlarging the hole in the jet and causing the idle mix to be too rich.

Old 04-09-09, 06:32 AM
Exclamation

Thanks Wire Twister. That makes more sense to me. Riding home yesterday I throttled it while braking and it seemed like it was improving. So maybe just a bit more ridding will improve it. If not off comes the carbs. Still not impressed with the full service I got. I am also placing a call to them for consideration.

Regards,

Doug

What can go wrong.....usually does around my place

Old 07-21-09, 12:36 PM
Talking Found My Own Answer and will share

Well believe it or not it wasn't really a carb idle issue. The supposed new battery was bad so it was not holding a charge so as I slowed the charge dropped and I would stall. In any case a new battery has fixed everything and I have been stall free for better than 2 weeks with improved gas mileage to boot.

Beer 4U2

Doug

What can go wrong usually does around my place!