New 3.5hp 50cc gocart go cart will not start

Old 04-11-09, 08:07 PM
Unhappy New 3.5hp 50cc gocart go cart will not start

I bought a gocart for my 5yr old son and it arrived yesterday. I had my father do the required assembly and here are the problems:

The go cart will not start. It has an electric and a manual pull start.
1.With the electric start, the solonoid box only clicks and the engine does not even attempt to start.
2. With the manual pull start, the spark plus wire has no spark.

There is fuel in the fuel bubble on the fuel line...my dad said there is compression.
What could we be missing? My son comes home from his dads in a couple of days this is what I got him for his birthday...the company I ordered from has not responded to my questions and there was not an owners manual included....
HELP!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-09, 08:25 PM
It sounds like a safety switch, either a neutral gear or an operator present in the seat switch.

I have to guess a little, without knowing what you have to start with, but I would say you have standard lawnmower type ignition which would be the low end basic. If that is the case you could disconnect the kill wire from ignition module on the flywheel to see if it would start. That would be an indication the problem is in a safety switch or the ignition switch, if you have one.

A second guess would be a CDI ignition = higher level, more like a motorcycle. That would be fed by the battery and a lot more complicated and more expensive.

Do you know what type of ignition you have, or maybe a model and type of the engine? I could pull up a parts diagram on it and see if we can figure this out.

Old 04-11-09, 08:30 PM
Some models have kill switchs under the seat which require a drivers weigh to close a circuit in the electrical system to the ignition as do most self propeled lawn mowers. Then again others have ignition switchs. Somewhere in your system there must be one of the above. Look carefully for the older systems had the kill on the throttle lever. Good Luck.

Old 04-11-09, 08:44 PM
the specs on the website I ordered it from:

Engine 50cc Air Cooled, 4-Stroke, Single Cylinder Chain Driven!!
Max Power 3.5 HP (EST)
Ignition 12v / 9A CDI
Start Pull Start
Transmission Dry-auto acentric
Dimensions LxWxH 59"x37"x42"
Seat Width 23"
Dry Weight 162lbs
Tires 13x5-6 Front / 14.5x7-6
Brakes Foot Brake (Rear Disc)
Top Speed 21 mph
Wheel base 43"
Fuel Capacity 2L

50cc Youth Go Kart Deluxe

Old 04-11-09, 08:52 PM
Ignition 12v / 9A CDI

Any suggestions? The model# of the gocart is: FXGK-001

Old 04-11-09, 09:08 PM
BUT.....if its a CDI ignition issue, wouldn't it still crank manually with the pull start or would it not do that either? Dad said when he did the spark test thing to see if it was getting "fire" to the plug it was not....
Could it be a bad solonoid switch?
Could it be a bad spark plug wire?
Could it be a ground issue?
OR did I simply buy a hunk of junk and my son now has NO birthday present?

He just told me "its getting no fire to the coil" "or no fire from the coil"

HELP!

Last edited by TPJarrell; 04-11-09 at 09:12 PM. Reason: add information
Old 04-11-09, 09:12 PM
With the CDI jobby, it gets a lot more complicated. That will have a CDI box, a stator, a rectifier (or something similar) and a battery. Any one of those, out the box can cause the no spark, as well as any safety switches. Since it's a CDI the safety switches would be continuity type (close to pass current) to serve the safety function.

Instead of focusing on the ignition, I would try to get the starter to spin the engine over. Charge the battery and check the cable connections (positive and ground). Make sure it's not a positive grounded setup, but if it is, ground accordingly.

Once you have the connections checked out and the battery in good shape, if the solenoid is just clicking (sign of low voltage), try jumping around the solenoid battery connections to kick the starter over. The clicking you hear is just the electromagnet of the relay trying to bring the contacts together. The current isn't strong enough to hold the magnet on.

Also check under the seat and on the controls for any wiring = safety switches.

Old 04-11-09, 09:17 PM
The CDI is fed in on the battery side. All the other ignition parts are on that side, except for the coil. The CDI is a capacitor setup that fires the coil.

Make sure you have no spark coming out the coil, just to clarify the problem.

For now, work on the starter. There's some common ground with the ignition system there and it's a lot simpler to trouble shoot.

The solenoid is starter specific.

Old 04-11-09, 09:21 PM
ok, Im going to print your info out for him and have him look it over again tomorrow. Thanks for all of the help! I might be calling on you some more though

Old 04-12-09, 11:07 AM
My dad tried everything suggested and still nothing...when he tried to bypass the solonoid he said it just got hot...and he didnt want to mess anything else up so he didnt go further with that.
Were stumped! Do you think me taking a photo of the engine would help? What could he do to see if its a bad solonoid switch? or are we doomed to take a brand new go cart to a small engine repair shop and let them handle it?
Im so incredibally frustrated with this gocart and this company Im about to pull my hair out!

Old 04-12-09, 11:32 AM
I sent you some information via pm. You mean with the go around on the solenoid the starter does nothing?

I did a search on the cart = Chinese = not the best documented stuff around. However, a Gy6 engine is pretty common around here on pocket scooters. I wonder if that isn't about the same engine.

Still you should be able to get current to the starter, ground its casing to a ground common to the battery and get something from it. It's hard to believe everything on that cart is bad.

Old 04-12-09, 12:04 PM
PROBLEM!
He tried againt to bypass it and did nothing but BURN his finger quite a bit, but still NOTHING happened as far as the gocart is concerned!
Its going to a small engine repair show in the morning but now I'll be out MORE money and STILL might not even have a birthday present! This is SO frustrating!

I just want to SCREAM and CRY! nothing is working!

Im ready to beat it into a million pieces with a hammer and ship in back in a shoe box!
This might have to be taken up with Visa as a charge back for fraud.....
What do I do?????????????

Last edited by TPJarrell; 04-12-09 at 01:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-12-09, 03:53 PM
Sorry you're having so many problems with that little beast. I can understand your disappointment and frustration.

Viewing all this from a distance, however, I was able to find a Chinese parts diagram for a 49 cc engine. The starter on that was an integral starter bolting to the end of the flywheel. Even at that when you have a fully charged, good battery, it should spin the starter/engine. Simply jumping between the solenoid posts shouldn't create the amount of heat you're describing, unless something is locked up on the starter/engine.

You could have a lemon, but I have a feeling there's a weak link in some common ground between the ignition and electric start. In the assembly work required - was it just bolting on the wheels or was some electric connections to make as well?

A good repair shop, with the cart in front of them may sort it out quickly for you.

Old 04-12-09, 04:18 PM
from my understanding he had to put the wheels on, assemble the roll cage...he said there was also a ground wire he had to connect. He thinks it was from the battery, and he grounded it to the motor and said it was a good ground....
what do you think?

Old 04-12-09, 06:13 PM
A ground from the battery could be connected to the engine. Since your problem is with the electrical system (starter/ignition) I would make sure you have a good hookup from the battery posts to whatever the designed hookups for the cables are.

The cable from the Positive (red) post/connection would typically go the input side of the starter solenoid and the negative would go to a ground (such as engine/frame). This is assuming negative ground - if positive ground the connections would be reversed. The adequate ground is as important as the cables coming from the hot side of the battery. In other words,without a good battery and good cable connections, your starter wouldn't work and you could get the solenoid chatter.

Also somewhere along the way from the positive post (again a negative ground system) there would be a slave wire/s to pull current for the CDI, lights, etc. There can be variations in design, but this is close to a standard way of setting it up. Sometimes the slaving isn't easy to distinguish because of module connections and wiring harnesses. But the accessories have to access the hot side of the battery or at least that network.

If you went to the CDI box you should have a switched (by the ignition switch) power to the CDI. That could have a control between the ignition and the box by way of a safety switch.

Old 04-13-09, 10:17 AM
the repair shop found a wire which comes from the solenoid and goes under the axel and is tie strapped to the frame but not connected to anything...the other wire that comes from the same post connects to the starter.....the loose wire is a HOT wire if the ingition was mashed. The repair shop doesn't know where to put it since there is no diagram that came along with the gocart.
Any suggestions?

Old 04-13-09, 09:54 PM
photos of the wire

Im holding it in one of the photos...it looks like its connected...but its not..it has a black rubber sheath over a red cable/wire with a flat medal circle connector on the end..where does this go? the other cable that comes from the solenoid goes to the starter...this ones runs from the solenoid then under the chasis of the cart and is zip tied to the frame near the engine....my dad had mistakenly connected it to the engine but it is a HOT wire...when the mechanic at the shop disconnected it he was able to get the motor to turn...but where on earth does it go?

its the black rubbber looking connector on left nearest to you..it looks connected but its really just hanging there...notice its zip tied to the frame

See where Im holding it...you can see the end of it...the silver round thing on the end is flat with a hole in it like you would screw it to something

solenoid box dismantled by the mechanic

This shows the end of the connector a little more

Old 04-14-09, 10:15 PM
I'd only be guessing and with a hot wire that could be not a good idea. Is it hot all the time or is it a switched power (with ignition switch). A loose wire in a loom can be a wire for an accessory not found on what you bought, but a hot wire is a different story. It could be for just about anything. The thing that catches your attention is it's hanging loose right by the axle.

In terms of the hot wire and the ground wire I would think those are the source of your problems. There was no wiring diagrams or anything with the assembly instructions, though?

And the manufacturer doesn't provide any support of any kind? You said you were able to get the motor to turn over now - have you gotten it to start?

Old 04-14-09, 11:31 PM
Smile

just as you said...it was apparently some sort of mystery cable that was meant for an accessory or something. He ties it down and sheiled it from making contact with anything (after finally speaking with a tech guy who doesnt even work for the company.... but VIOLA! I have a working gocart $80 later The other damages have to be taken up with the seller of course but Im not holding my breath!
You have been a TREMENDOUS help and I really appreciaite it!
(and so will my son when he sees it for the first time tomorrow afternoon!)

THANK YOU!

Old 04-15-09, 08:50 AM
what is that connection to the gearbox is that hot or a ground, could be a neutral safety switch, just a suggestion?
does it reach to any other post?

Old 04-15-09, 11:47 AM
HI mate if it just clicks then its a simple fix!!! check the battery!!! it will be dead charge it all night!! then post back!! or choke on two slow pulls on the cord don't try to start on the two pulls! your just letting the mix into the motor then try to start it!!!!!!!!! choke off! now!! but it my need a full battery to start! most things from the far east do need a full battery!! let us no how it go's