Yamaha G! 1983 Gas Golf Cart will start but wont run - PLEASE HELP

Old 05-01-09, 05:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Yamaha G! 1983 Gas Golf Cart will start but wont run - PLEASE HELP

Just bought the cart today - it ran there - but wont know that I am home. I replaced the battery and it starts, but it wont go anywhere. It looks like a belt should be turning but isnt engaging. Any ideas please?

I believe it is the clutch - any ideas as to how to fix it without replacing it?

Last edited by jaakel; 05-01-09 at 06:34 PM. Reason: It's the clutch I think
Old 05-02-09, 06:57 AM
T
You can rebuilt these clutches. The drive clutch is the one on the motor, and driven clutch is on the rear end. There are several golf cart parts sites on the web that sell these parts. The clutch parts are expensive, but about half the cost of a new clutch. You will also need special tools to remove the clutches.

Old 05-02-09, 07:05 AM
J
Thank you. It seems to be the drive clutch then that is not engaging the belt. Isn't it suppose to slide to the sidew and spin the belt to get the cart to go?

Old 05-02-09, 07:20 AM
T
The drive clutch should close on the belt to make the cart move.
( the outer sheave should move toward the engine)

Old 05-02-09, 07:33 AM
J
How can I determine if it is the sheave that is not working or the drive clutch itself? The drive clutch is actually turning but the outer sheave is not pressing over to the belt. I found a replacement outer sheave for $5 but the drive clutch is over $300. Can you explain how I can check to see if it is the sheave? Perhaps you can explain what makes the sheave move over to move the belt. Thank you!!

Old 05-02-09, 09:05 AM
J
Okay - the engine isnt actually getting enough rev to move the sheath to the belt. It is just the starter I am hearing. How can I jumpstart the engine to get it going to see if it will engage? Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-02-09, 06:26 PM
T
Is there fuel in the tank? If you trailered it home, tap the carb very lightly with a screwdriver handle my be the float is stuck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question