83 shadow intermittent directionals

Old 05-13-09, 11:37 AM
Question 83 shadow intermittent directionals

I have a 83 Honda Shadow 500. The directional signals decide when they want to work and when they don't. When it was colder, last month low 50s it would take me about 15 miles before they would start working. I "assumed" that they needed to warm up. But now that it is in the mid to upper 60s and 70s, sometimes they work when I start out and then stop and before I get to the office, 20 miles they start working again. It is not stored inside, but it is covered. I do not se where it has drawn moisture, but it still could be. Any thoughts or trouble shooting ideas? I do think it is safer for them to work then me using hand signals.

Thanks,

Doug

At my place what can go wrong...usually does

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-09, 01:30 PM
Wink Found My Own Answer and will share

Since the flasher issue was getting worse I asked a regular mechanic friend of mine who knows nothing about motor cycles. He said the old style car flashes {60s - 70s} would oxidize over time and it would prevent them from working since it was heat and cool filiments that created the flashing. I called my local Honda dealer and they wanted almost 60 bucks for a flasher but gave me the part number. I googled it and found a dealer in Ohio that shipped it and it was under $40.00 including shipping. I now have no trouble with my signals.

Beer 4U2

Doug

What can go wrong usually does at my place!

Old 07-21-09, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Cool. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you will not be riding around always blinking left.