'98 Wide Glide Brake light

Old 06-05-09, 09:37 AM
'98 Wide Glide Brake light

My Brake light stopped working. I have replaced and tested the lamp, it is OK , I have tested the rear brake light switch and it shows continuity when the peddle is pressed. If I put a jumper across the wires at the rear switch the light will light up.But the light does not illuminate at all using either brake switch (neither front Nor rear). This is a simple circuit , but for whatever reason I'm not seeing it I find it odd both switches would fail at the same time yet there is nothing that would cause a single failure to affect both the fromt an rear. anyone got any ideas.

Thx in advance.
Village IdiotBeer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
So you have checked both switches and the light bulb. Have you checked continuity through the wires. It might be a broken wire between the switches and the light.

Old 06-07-09, 10:13 AM
You checked continuity at the switches, however did you check for proper voltage?

If by jumping/bypassing the switch lit the bulb, that eliminates the wire continuity question

Try testing the switches independantly?

Keep us posted as to your results,

Good luck and have a great day

Old 06-07-09, 05:58 PM
That's the part that has me stumped both switches show continuity, but that is w/a digital meter so it really isn't that reliable. So I Finally removed the front switch and tied the 2 wires together and the light comes on soooooooo it has to be the front switch. I have also done the same w/ the rear switch, but the rear switch is a hydraulic pressure switch so it could be that it has air causing it not to activate so I will bleed rear system b-4 I attempt to replace that switch. Thx for the help I will post the results when it's back together.

Old 06-08-09, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=Sparky-L.U.697;1578336]That's the part that has me stumped both switches show continuity

Check the voltage when the switch is activated..

Would love to know what the odds are that both switches would fail at the same time, and if so, what was the cause?

Good luck and have a great day

Old 06-08-09, 11:40 AM
Since I'm using a digital meter it is showing 12v, However My analog meter is showing less than 1v guess I shoulda used the analog meter to start with. As for both failing at the same time........well not sure when rear failed as i usually pay no attention the only one I can say for sure just quit is the front as that is the one I use when I am parking and I can see the tail light brighten when i'm in the garage. I ordered the switches today so we'll see in a couple of days if I got it figgured out.

Thx Again.

Old 06-15-09, 12:49 PM
Replaced both switches on saturday and the brakelights work again. Funny how I guess I should have known better using the digital meter instead of the analog one. Coulda saved two days of head scratching.

Thx to all who helped.Beer 4U2