need help with high idle

Old 08-16-09, 06:45 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need help with high idle

i have a 1983 185s three wheeler wid a really high idle and nothing happens when i adjust the idling screw i dont know what else to do....

Old 08-16-09, 07:18 PM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
First make sure you're adjusting the idle speed screw and not the mixture screw. Then...

Look in the throat of the carburetor and see if the throttle is closing completely. The slide or throttle cable may be hanging up. If everything is free, make sure the adjustment at the throttle handle has free play in it to allow the slide room to close fully.

If everything else is in good shape and closing properly, you either have a vacuum leak or the advance on the ignition is stuck in the advanced position.

Old 08-17-09, 07:44 AM
M
Originally Posted by marbobj View Post
First make sure you're adjusting the idle speed screw and not the mixture screw. Then...

Look in the throat of the carburetor and see if the throttle is closing completely. The slide or throttle cable may be hanging up. If everything is free, make sure the adjustment at the throttle handle has free play in it to allow the slide room to close fully.

If everything else is in good shape and closing properly, you either have a vacuum leak or the advance on the ignition is stuck in the advanced position.
but when i push on the gas it dogs out

Old 08-17-09, 12:11 PM
M
when i hit the gas it dogs out

Old 08-20-09, 05:51 AM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
That would be a vacuum leak or plugged carb jets = lean mixture.

Try running Sea Foam through it. You can get it at auto parts stores. If that doesn't show results you'll have to dismantle it to clean it.

What engine and machine are you working on?

Old 08-30-09, 06:09 PM
T
atv

see if you choke is sticking

Search this Thread

Ask a Question