quits running

Old 09-02-09, 07:34 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
quits running

1987 trx 350 4x4 i'll be driving down the road the all of a sudden the engine will shut down if i down shift t neutral it sometimes stays running, i have spark battery dead but can kick start untill the last time now i can't get it going at all. Does any one have any suggestions, does it seem like a fuel problem? will go back north to try and fix. when the engine gets hot seems to have no problem sometimes also when i start the engine put it in gear it shuts off please help hunting season coming

Old 09-03-09, 07:20 PM
M
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
If you're sure about the spark and compression, it would point toward the fuel system. The thing about shifting into neutral, though, brings you back towards the ignition.

It could just be you have taken the load off the engine and it has been running on a lean mixture - then the shifting to neutral could still point toward fuel.

On the other hand if you happen to have a bad spot in the ignition switch, grounding to the neutral start switch, you have to start thinking about electrical. This is a little far fetched, but may freak in as a maybe.

Or you may be running on a weak spark = no load capabilities, and the problem may be in your stator = the dreaded often breaking stator = grounding your electrical/ignition. Or you could have a bad coil = fails first when it gets hot from running, then fails all the time = no start.

Old 09-09-09, 07:44 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
quits running

Thanks for the reply marbobJ

i will clean the carb real good i changed oil fuel filter spark plug battery it starts and idles fine ran down the road then all of a sudden same thing again idle put in gear stall then it goes away. was getting backfires a couple of times still messing with it trying carb next

Search this Thread

Ask a Question