Remote electrical cutoff switch

Old 10-04-09, 09:01 AM
Remote electrical cutoff switch

I have an electric golf caddy. I did not pay the extra for the remote controlled one, so I have to walk next to it and control speed, direction, etc...not a huge problem, and I now walk when I golf without pulling a cart or lugging my bags.....just thinking though...it would be nice to let it motor on ahead of me, and be able to just push a button to kill the power at a spot ahead of me....is there such and animal out there?? It operates on a simple 12 v battery that is charged, then plugged together on the cart........is this possible??? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-09, 05:46 PM
Do you mean you have something like a Kangaroo Caddy? If yes, then you could adapt a simple radio control on-off system to it. You would need the R/C unit and a heavy-duty power relay and it would require some re-wiring of the power control on the caddy. Most likely would also void any warranty on the caddy.

This would work for the R/C unit (I have one and the range is at least the stated 250 feet.)

Auto Roll 2 Channel RF Remote Control

You would then need a heavy duty relay that is probably available as surplus for $20 or less. Wiring the whole mess up would be up to you.

Old 10-04-09, 05:58 PM
thanks Furd....warranty not an issue,....e-bay purchase, it has worked great so far....would just like something I could stop where I want in front of me...nothing major...and if it couldn;t happen, not a big deal either! we can chat more to see if it is economical (if not, then no way) or feasible.....Thanks for the at least the hope!!

Old 10-04-09, 08:00 PM
Give me some details of your caddy such as battery voltage and what it now has for a control. I'm only familiar with the older Kangaroo Caddy. I'm not a golfer but I did help my (at the time) father-in-law with his Kangaroo about twenty-five years ago.

Make and model of your caddy at least. An Internet link might be quite helpful.

Old 10-05-09, 09:31 AM
I googled, and I am pretty sure that this is it...looks just like it...will have to look for paperwork at home, but I am almost positive that this is it...can;t find the product on e-bay anymore...the control has a thumb dial to set speed, and separate + - speed push buttons, a stop button, and 10, 20, and 30 Meter (yard) pre-set buttons

Classic GGT-005 Electric Golf Trolley

Old 10-05-09, 01:18 PM
I'd use the radio control I linked to and wire the power across the batter with no more than a 2 ampere in-line fuse. I'd use only one channel and set that as a momentary contact channel. Wire the battery supply through another 2 ampere fuse through the normally open relay contacts for the first channel to the coil of the power relay. (Use a power relay with a 12 volt DC coil and contacts rated at least 10 amperes at 12 volts DC. Higher amperage contacts are better.) Wire the normally open contacts of the of the power relay across the contacts of the 10 meter pushbutton. This way the caddy will move 10 meters every time you push the button on the key fob remote.

You could wire the power relay across one of the other pre-set buttons but doing it across the 10 meter one makes it unlikely the caddy will ever "run away" from you.

If you add a second power relay with normally closed contacts wired in series with the stop button and the second channel of the radio control wired to the second power relay the second R/C button could be used as a remote stop button.