Throttle help for mini bike

Old 10-13-09, 08:53 AM
Throttle help for mini bike

Hi, I just put a 5hp Tecumseh engine on my mini bike. It's from a snow blower. Now I need to rig the throttle cable to the linkage. But I'm not sure where to start. I've attached some pictures to show what I'm looking at. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-09, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Heck! You have posted good pictures and labled them. Hooking up a throttle should be no problem for you.

First I would see if there is an easy way to free up the friction throttle lever that's on there now. If you can get it to move freely you can attach your throttle cable to the existing throttle lever. You will need to make a bracket to hold the outter sheath of the cable to prevent it from moving. You will also need to remove the engine kill wire so you don't kill it at low throttle settings. A simple on/off switch from that wire to ground can be used as your engine on/off.

Cool. Does the electric start work?

If you can't get the existing linkage moving freely you will have to find or make a bellcrank for the throttle unless you can find a direct way to run the cable. Don't forget to include a throttle return spring to return the throttle to idle when you let go of your throttle lever (or twist grip) on the handle bars. The spring will also save your rear if the throttle cable breaks. You don't want a run away engine.

Since the carb air intake is right in front of the back tire see if you can get some sort of air filter on there and remove the black sheet metal case around the carb and muffler. On a snowblower it helps heat the air entering the carb but on a mini bike it just robs power.

Old 10-13-09, 02:14 PM
Pilot, thanks for the info. Yes the electric start works. Also the existing throttle cable is way too long. Can they be cut to size? Will the end need a metal fitting? Thanks

Old 10-14-09, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
Yes the cables can be cut to length. First I figure out how I will run the cable and where I will clamp the outter sheath. Add a little extra length just to be safe because you can always shorten it some more. I cut the outter sheath with a fine toothed hack saw. Be very carefull not to nick the inner wire. Then the inner wire can be cut with a hack saw or you can use a file and make a notch and bend the wire back and forth. It should snap where you made the file mark.

You will need to do something with the end of the wire. You can buy clevises that clamp on the end or you can put a couple bends in the wire (take a look at a push lawn mower throttle cable at the carb, it probably has a couple bends to see how they do it).