ATV "maintenance" made in China

Old 10-21-09, 07:24 AM
ATV "maintenance" made in China

I have a Linhai and the Chinese to English in the manual is not so good. I also am apparently not very bright . I have two questions:
1) I determined that I drained the transmission and filled it with motor oil. I drove it a little bit. I obviously am going to drain the oil and replace it with transmission oil but is there anything else I need to do? Did this do any damage?
2) The oil has never been changed and I cannot get what I think is the drain plug to budge (probably over tightened at te factory). I have a 19mm socket that fits well but I have no access to a power ratchet. Any help please!

Thank you and don't do what I do.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-09, 05:09 AM
You probably didn't do any damage, but motor oil can gunk up automatic tranny parts if that's what you have, so replace it with the right stuff, run it for a couple of days, drain that and refill and you should be fine.

As far as the drain that won't come out - first make sure of what you're taking out. The last thing you want to do is strip something in an aluminum casing. You may want to call a service center or dealer for that particular ATV to find out just where the drains and fill plugs are for it.

You really shouldn't need anything other than a wrench that fits to take out a drain plug.

Standard direction of loosening a nut/bolt with right hand threads is counter clockwise. (Righty/tighty, lefty/loosey)

Old 10-22-09, 06:49 AM
OK, thanks. I went through the manual like I said and I am pretty sure I've located the plug but I think I'll take the brush guard off the bottom and take another look to make sure. If anyone else has a Linhai I'd love some confirmation!

Old 10-22-09, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
If that is the drain plug and it will not budge you might be able to suck the oil out through the filler hole. Automotive and marine parts stores sell cans with a vacuum pump and suction hose for just that purpose. You should be able to get one for less than $50. If you want to try it really cheap get an old turkey baster and attach a section of tubing to the end that is small enough to get through the filler hole.

Old 10-26-09, 11:07 AM
Thanks to everyone. It helps to know that you are pushing on the right bolt in the right direction (especially when you are on your back). I found a shop manual out on the web which was also very helpful.

Old 10-28-09, 10:49 AM
Couldn't hurt to ask here either: Chinese ATV forum at johnnaas.com :: Index